Mt. Vernon AE 20% Grass Hardwood Pellets - What Settings should I use? Opinons Please.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backstreets75

Jan 27, 2009
Upstate, NY
Flame Height? Hardwood Setting? Softwood Setting? Utility Setting?

Thanks!!

I went on the quadrafire website and did not see anything specific to this. I would start on utility and see what your flame / heat output is like. It's hard to tell specifically so I would just experiment with it.

80% hardwood?? I'd try hardwood setting. Adjust flame height according to manual.

I should restate the grass is Switch Grass. Remember good old George Bush's green agenda?

BIGISLANDHIKERS said:
Any pellets used not approved by Quad could void the warramty.

I'd really like to know where you got your information because I just re-read Quadra Fires boiler print warranty info. for the Mount Vernon AE and there is absolutely no mention to your warranty being null and void if you use an unapproved type of pellet. This is a multi fuel stove! It's made to be flashed for future fuels.... there manual even states to use Utility Pellet for any fuel that isn't specifically mentioned in the menu system.

While the stove may be capable of burning the grass pellets, you need to make certain the venting system is also able to handle the combustion byproducts of the fuel.

Not all fuels produce the same byproducts and a number of combustion byproducts are corrosive.

Don't bet your life on something you can verify upfront.

mainegeek said:
BIGISLANDHIKERS said:
Any pellets used not approved by Quad could void the warramty.

I'd really like to know where you got your information because I just re-read Quadra Fires boiler print warranty info. for the Mount Vernon AE and there is absolutely no mention to your warranty being null and void if you use an unapproved type of pellet. This is a multi fuel stove! It's made to be flashed for future fuels.... there manual even states to use Utility Pellet for any fuel that isn't specifically mentioned in the menu system.

Page one and page 24 of the users manual.

"Tested and approved for wood pellets, shelled field
corn, wheat and black oil sunflower seeds. Burning
of any other type of fuel voids your warranty."

http://quadrafire.com/downloads/installManuals/man_mtvernonAE.pdf

BIH

Ok, fair enough! Two things though.... It's not listed in the boiler plate print of the warranty so I don't think it would be difficult to fight. And when I read that I think they are referring to using something other then pellets like coal, motor oil :), uncompress wood, loose grass clippings, etc

I think you will need to run in a few modes and see what works best. I do know someone who uses 100% grass pellet in a MV AE. I don't think his setting would ork for your 80/20 mix. I think your in sorta new territory, so use a few modes and see what happens. Good luck! Thats an interesting mix and an interesting test. What kind of wood is the grass mixed with ?

Schoondog

mainegeek said:

Ok, fair enough! Two things though.... It's not listed in the boiler plate print of the warranty so I don't think it would be difficult to fight. And when I read that I think they are referring to using something other then pellets like coal, motor oil :), uncompress wood, loose grass clippings, etc

I wanted to use cherry pits and dealer said it would void the warranty. I double checked with quad and they verified. A real bummer. :(

mainegeek said:

Actually mainegeek,

The warranty boilerplate explicitly includes the installation and operation portions of the manual.

See page 55 warranty exclusions Damages resulting from (1) in particular

Actually mainegeek,

The warranty boilerplate explicitly includes the installation and operation portions of the manual.

See page 55 warranty exclusions Damages resulting from (1) in particular

Yes but I think that still leaves it open for interpretation.

For example, page 23:
Hearth & Home Techonologies strongly recommends only
using Pellet Fuel Institute (PFI) certified fuel.

Pellet Fuel Institute:
According to data from the Pellet Fuel Institute, pellets are a limitless fuel source. In additional to wood waste, pellet fuel can be manufactured from forest-thinning byproducts and other biomass ingredients

The point is.... do you REALLY think Quadra Fire is ever going to void someones warranty for using a commerically available pellet made of something other then wood? Doubt it. Especially if it is certified by the Pellet Fuel Institute.

I still think those clauses are there specifically to protect Quadra Fire from idiots who try to burn coal or fill the hopper with grass clippings. Not people who purchase commerically manufactured pellets.

If you take the manual THAT literal then you would see they do not list cherry pits either... yet cherry pits are a viable and valid fuel source.

schoondog said:
I think you will need to run in a few modes and see what works best. I do know someone who uses 100% grass pellet in a MV AE. I don't think his setting would ork for your 80/20 mix. I think your in sorta new territory, so use a few modes and see what happens. Good luck! Thats an interesting mix and an interesting test. What kind of wood is the grass mixed with ?

Schoondog

80% hardwood, not sure of the exact source. I'm going to try utility next. Right now I'm on Hardwood setting with -4 Flame height which helps with the soot.

Viable and valid fuel sources do not matter one bit.

If you try to get warranty coverage after using any fuel not specifically listed you will more than likely find yourself SOL.

But hell it is your stove, your house, and your life, do whatever you want.

Those clauses are there for several reasons one is to protect the manufacturer from idiots doing dumb things and the other is because in most jurisdictions those instructions are legally the code and are there to protect you.

Doing things other than in that fine manual removes your installation from conforming to code. Talk to your homeowner insurance folks and see how well that goes over.

SmokeyTheBear said:

If you try to get warranty coverage after using any fuel not specifically list you will more than likely find yourself SOL.

Those clauses are there for several reasons one is to protect the manufacturer from idiots doing dumb things and the other is because in most jurisdictions those instructions are legally the code and are there to protect you.

Doing things other than in that fine manual removes your installation from conforming to code. Talk to your homeowner insurance folks and see how well that goes over.

Are you implying that switch grass mixed with hardwood at 20-80 is bad for the Mt. Vernon?

Backstreets75 said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

If you try to get warranty coverage after using any fuel not specifically list you will more than likely find yourself SOL.

Are you implying that switch grass mixed with hardwood at 20-80 is bad for the Mt. Vernon?

I'm not implying a single thing, read the list of the proper fuels for your stove, remember if it isn't in that list then it isn't approved for burning in that device.

Further even if something is approved for burning in your stove, you had better be damned certain that your venting system can handle the combustion byproducts produced. A good example is burning corn using venting that isn't corn rated, it corrodes and little holes appear in the vent work, one consequence of those little holes is CO in your house.

I'm going to email Quadra Fire and get some proper clarification. I truly believe you guys are taking it too literal

As for proper venting, I agree. I would hope that the installation of a multi-fuel pellet stove was done correctly so that one can make use of multiple fuel types.

Smokey- I should also mention the warranty also states that under no circumstances is rust covered yet Quadra Fire went good when my baffle was falling apart like peanut brittle after less then a year.

As always, it is there to allow the manufacturer discretion in what should be covered by warranty. It is also up to the individual to use proper discretion when choosing a fuel source.

When in doubt ask the manufacturer

Backstreets75 said:

Thanks!!

the guy was just asking about a few settings not a personal interpretaion of the manual....

Your baffle was falling apart because of a manufacturing defect in the baffle and Quadrafire knew it. Manufacturing defects are covered, you just can't show up with a rusted out baffle because your stove was under water for a week.

Yup when in doubt ask the manufacturer, now go ask Quardafire if you can burn a grass/wood pellet in that stove and still have warranty coverage.

Bet you'll get the same answer that BIGISLANDHIKER got in https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewreply/573139/ but hey what would I know after all I'm a bear, have paws, and live in Maine.

Those cherry pits also ain't on that list see how that turned out.

no pane said:
the guy was just asking about a few settings not a personal interpretaion of the manual....

Yes and people were quick to point out he would void his warranty for using a pellet that is 80% wood 20% grass... that is what derailed the thread

And I would like to mention I'm not arguing... I'm more discussing but I feel an answer of you'll void your stove for using a pellet that is 20% grass is BS

no pane said:
Backstreets75 said:

Thanks!!

My answer would be check with Quadrafire.

Status
Not open for further replies.