Mt Vernon AE air intake

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmountvernon

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2011
SE Mass
Curious what kind of air volume im suppose to have. Can hardly feel any air going thru and if i out a piece of paper over the intake at the stove it sticks but it barely stays there I would of thought there would be more suction then that?

Curious what kind of air volume im suppose to have. Can hardly feel any air going thru and if i out a piece of paper over the intake at the stove it sticks but it barely stays there I would of thought there would be more suction then that?
Hi OMV,
The reason your not feeling alot of air volume movement is because the manufactured air intake box has unwelded corners and gaps all round the assembly. Hence why it doesn't feel that strong.
Jon

Reactions: oldmountvernon
Yep.. All Quads are unsealed.

You can do it yourself with High temp Silicone. I would post pics. But small.children can do a better job than.me :(

I have mine sealed pretty good. I would like to think over 85% comes from outside (Judging by what gets sucked in through the OAK outside/compared to before sealing).

thanks, and what is there reason for not sealing it ?

so... when you install an OAK you're suppose to seal it

No... Quad keeps it design, so it can suck inside or outside air? Whichever has the path of least resistance.

I did it, so my stove sucks outside air (mainly). Many (Most) have not

Even if you don't, it can only help efficiency. Path of least resistance.

Reactions: oldmountvernon
Status
Not open for further replies.