1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Mt Vernon AE and a House Full of Smoke

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by BIGISLANDHIKERS, Mar 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIGISLANDHIKERS

BIGISLANDHIKERS Feeling the Heat

Last night it almost ran out of fuel. The flame was almost out. I added fuel and went back to bed. About an hour later I awoke to the house full of smoke. Smoke was pouring out the ashpan door and no fans were running. I believe what happened is that pellets made it to the pot but the stove got a mininmum firepot temp error, dumped the smoldering pellets inot the ashpan where they continued to burn. The ashpan door was closed but there was just too much smoke. The house tonight still smells really bad.

I take part blame but I didn't know this would happen. I consider this a design flaw. The auger should turn off sooner or the exhaust fan should stay on longer or both. The ashpan door sucks and doesnt seal very tight. Called my dealer. He didnt seem surprised and said it sounded like normal operation.

BIH

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. mikeyny

mikeyny Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    upstate ny
    if he considers smoke in the house normal operation I think i would pay him a visit and give him a piece of my mind, or maybe even something upside the head. Boy that kind of stuff gets my blood boiling!!!

Mike
  3. kenc

kenc New Member

Loc:
    Central MN
    I have had similar problems. Not only with the ash pan but also have had the burning pot overfill and smolder. I thought it was user error. I agree that the auger should stop when there is low temp. I install our Mt. Vernon and had to replace the thermocouple because it would have an error when first tried to start the stove.
  4. richg

richg Minister of Fire

Hmnn, wait for his shop to be busy, such as a bitterly cold Saturday, and throw a smoke bomb in. Ask him if he thinks smoke in his shop is normal.
  5. MainePellethead

MainePellethead Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    I LOVE it...lol....that sounds like what I would do.....or be in his shop when its busy...and make a complete fool out of him.
  6. jtp10181

jtp10181 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    If that situation happened again, you should toss a hand-full of pellets right into the pot to get it going again. It takes a while for the pellets to travel up the tube again when it is empty. I agree though, there should be some sort of safety to prevent burning/smouldering pellets in the ash pan.
  7. BIGISLANDHIKERS

Does the pan get exhausted...either with fan or draft? If not it should at least by draft when the fan isn't on. House smells a bit better today....or maybe I'm just used to it now:) Dealer is going to send me new clips for the ashpan. He wouldnt send me a new rope seal. I took the old one out, worked it a little and flipped it over.

BIH
  8. BIGISLANDHIKERS

jtp...good point about the handful of pellets.
  9. Biglumber

Biglumber Member

Loc:
    Colorado
    Been there, done that. It DOES stink. I think the adjective is "ACRID".

I had a fire out, dumped some pellets in then gave it some fire gel, started flaming then I left.

Smoke alarms and a basement full of white smoke. It is creepy seeing the white smoke pouring out of a stove.

I believe that is what the mfg means by letting the stove cool down and shut down completely. I did neither plus I didn't pay attention to the flame. My bad. Hasn't happened since.

Peace
  10. BIGISLANDHIKERS

Dealer sent me new clips for the ashpan. I didnt realize how worn my were. If you have a Mt Vernon check your clips. The two parts should be touching and be tight. If not and you get burning fuel in the pan it will leak for sure.

BIH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.