mt vernon AE burn corn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mntgirl

Apr 3, 2008
colorado
Hi I am thinking of trying to burn some corn in my Mt Vernon AE. Seems to be cheaper than pellets these days. Advice? Potential problems or things I should know?
Thanks!!

Check the vent pipe, Be sure it's corn rated! Corn burns dirty, Will need to clean and scrape more often. Sift the corn a few times or get or make a corn cleaner vac.(more work)
Less heat from corn. Some people mix 25% (or50%) corn to 75%(or 50%) pellets a little more heat and less messy than just corn.

If you get corn cheap enough might be worth it. Be sure your stove is rated to burn corn. Corn is a little rough on the stoves. Acidic!

jay

Status
Not open for further replies.