Mt Vernon AE Burning on Sunflower Setting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LMPS

Feeling the Heat
Dec 12, 2010
Coastal, Maine
I know we have talked about burning pellets in the MT Vernon on the Sunflower setting and how much more heat this puts out. It is amazing. I had the stove set to softwood today and it was keeping the house (12yr old cape 1700sqft) between 66 and 68. I had it set on flame height of +5 and High heat output. With the same settings but set on sunflower the house rose to 71 before I started cutting back the flame height and heat output. It is about 8 outside today.
The one draw back is the amount of pellets this consumes. This leads me to my first question.
1) Is there anyone else burning on Sunflower and if so what flame height do you run on?
2) My second concern in doing this is over heating the stove. Should I be concerned about this?
3) Lastly, I am concerned about the flame height (this kind of goes along with over heating the stove), it seems to be really large on this setting no matter what I cut the flame height setting back to. Currently I have cut it back to +2 and have it set on medium high on manual.

When I burn on Sunflower setting I normally have the stove set at -5 flame height on manual mode low. This seems to work for me. Rarely would I turn it up past medium low setting. I am not so concerned with over heating the stove (I believe there are safety devices already built into the stove to prevent this) I just never seem to need any more heat than what I can get from these settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.