Mt Vernon AE - Does not start (on the first attept)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eric_s

Jul 22, 2008
Rhode Island
Before I call the dealer I figured I'd throw this one out here.
My MT VERNON AE from a COLD start initiates the startup cycle. Ignitor glows, combustion fan runs slowly, some pellets are dropper. Then the unit fails to light. At the end of the 20 minute attempt, AUTOCLEAN runs and dumps the pellets. The unit then re-initiates startup and it lights fine. It's been doing this for the last few days.
The only observation I have made is it appears during the first attempt that there are not a lot of pellets being fed into the burn pot when compared to the second attempt. This observation is based on looking in the ash pan after one of the failed attempts as compared to watching how many are dropped when it actually does ignite.
Thanks,
Eric

make sure the ignitor hole isn't plugged. when was the last THOROUGH cleaning?? are the pellets in the ashpan burnt or smoldering from the first attempt?

Take 3/4 of a hand full of pellets (15-25 or so) and put them into the firepot. Also when you fill an empty hopper, work your hand through the pellets towards the intake and push them into the feeder. You will feel it. This solves my start up problem 100% of the time. I only have this happen if my hopper runs empty or on the first start of the year.

I cleaned the stove recently, but maybe not good enough into the front corner of the burn pot. I planned to do a thorough cleaning before calling the dealer as I don't want to have that be the problem. I'm going to scrape it good tonight and see what I can come up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.