Mt Vernon AE fan NOISE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmlarson

Dec 17, 2007
Central, PA
HELP........There seems to be a odd noise coming from my Mt Vernon. I believe it is the combustion fan but not 100%. It sounds like plastic fan blades striking something when they are rotating. It does not do this all the time. I does it mainly on start-up till the stove gets really hot. Then it is as if something expands and it stops rubbing. Any ideas what this might be. Thanks for you help in advance.

If no one can give you some direction go to iburncorn.com..they have a section there just for Quad and a very good tech by the name of Kapp that can give you some very good suggestions...just a thought but it's another very good site as this one is also.

Can you tell what side of the stove the noise is coming from? The combustion fan is on the right hand side as you face the stove, the convection fan is on the left.

Also, how old is the stove, and is this a new problem or has it always occurred?

Mine was doing it last year it was the convection motor was out of alignment. depending how mechanical you are you could try loosening the screws and tighten .Take the right side cover off.Right side when facing stove.reach in while its running and see if you can move the blower to see if its loose. BE CAREFUL.Or if still under warrenty call dealer.

Thank you for your help guys. It seems to be a new problem that developed over the last week. I removed the side panel last night and vacumed the fins on both fans. Will need to check for looseness tonight. Also checked the auger motor and rolled that option out.

The stove is a year old. Bought new in Dec. 07. Used in my basement last year. This year it was moved to our main living area. Did a good job in the basement but it is unfinished. Was wasting heat and money for that matter.

Our stove was two days old when it started this... I probably should have called the dealer but didn't. I eventually found the noise after liberally applying felt tape to the side panels and running the stove on manual/high with both side panels off. It was the convection fan. Applying a slight amount of inward pressure on the fan eliminated the noise. It seems the bracket holding the fan has a little too much play which causes the fan to vibrate within the bracket. I should also mention that I also found the O2 sensor (right side encased in aluminum) was banging against the combustion chamber enclosure. Some subtle bracket bending resolved that issue. Also, two machines screws were missing on the exhaust-side of the stove where two pieces of metal overlapped. I found some machine screws with the same thread pattern and installed those....

Status
Not open for further replies.