MT Vernon AE feed rate adjustment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pelletkrzd

Jan 2, 2010
northwest NJ
Is lowering the flame height adjustment on an AE the only way to lower the feed rate. Still battling clinkers with barefoots (have never had this issue with them before) . Some on forum have suggested feed rate needs to be lowered with higher density pellets but this is only way I know of to lower feed rate on an AE. I am at -5 now any ideas. Here are my settings--hardwood fuel...heat output H...flame -5....Fan on normal...Altitude normal.

its the only way I know.
try utility setting for a day or two.
one downside is it autocleans more often.

pelletkrzd said:
Is lowering the flame height adjustment on an AE the only way to lower the feed rate. Still battling clinkers with barefoots (have never had this issue with them before) . Some on forum have suggested feed rate needs to be lowered with higher density pellets but this is only way I know of to lower feed rate on an AE. I am at -5 now any ideas. Here are my settings--hardwood fuel...heat output H...flame -5....Fan on normal...Altitude normal.

Since the stove is already set at minus 5 for flame height he can’t back off any more on the fuel feed. One thing you could do that seems to work for me is change the elevation setting to high. You will get more air this way. Don’t change it while the stove is running, I have had it shut the stove down before when doing this.

Becuase Quadrafire hasn't released the info on feed rates you will have to tinker your way out of it. Jack from Meneilly’s Woodland Products has mentioned he put his stove in high altitude mode and it helped clean up the burn. I'd start there. Another member was getting clinkers with Hamers in the AE. They switched to sunflower mode. Sunflower mode may also reduce the feed rate. I don't exactly know for sure as I don't own that stove.

Yes, I am one of the members stating you need to lean out(reduce) the feed rate if your using higher density fuels! Its only logical as your dumping more fuel in with higher density fuel. This can also be done with air adjustments. But some cases just need both.

The first thing I did when I got my Omega setup and squared away was I made a feed chart for my stove(Enviro release only a partial list). I used a stop watch. I measured the amount of feed on time and off time. Thru the whole range of feed settings with each feed trim setting. Overkill maybe? But I know my stove now. I also can adjust for most any issues because I know where I stand.

Attachments

• Feed chart 1.jpg
    Feed chart 1.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 692
I'm the guy that had trouble with the Hamers clinkering. I switched to sunflower setting and high altitude and that seemed to have stopped the clinkers. The flame is still very high even on low setting, but the pot cleans now the way it should.

tsmith said:
I'm the guy that had trouble with the Hamers clinkering. I switched to sunflower setting and high altitude and that seemed to have stopped the clinkers. The flame is still very high even on low setting, but the pot cleans now the way it should.

Did you try just the high altitude setting prior to changing to sunflower?

High altitude may be all you need.

JoeS said:
tsmith said:

You know what, I am not sure if I did that or not, I have been playing with it so much I can't remember. I am going to make that change now and see how it does, I will let ya know.

That's that way to work this out guys! :) Nice!

Sure wish Quad would give you all some info on these programs!

There is at least one stove out there that allows almost unlimited tinkering.

PFI did itself and the pellet stove makers no favors when they wrote their grading specifications.

tsmith said:
JoeS said:
tsmith said:

You know what, I am not sure if I did that or not, I have been playing with it so much I can't remember. I am going to make that change now and see how it does, I will let ya know.
I have been running on Hardwood setting High altitude with the quiet blower setting and the stove on auto with the Hamer's and so far it is running nice. On the lower settings the flame actually drops down instead of blowing out the top like it did on sunflower setting. I have been involved on the iburncorn website for 3 years now and a gentleman there by the name of Kappel15 is a Quad tech, I asked him about the fuel tables and he said the following. "It is all factory set. only adjustment is the flame height, which is the feed rate. as far as fuels, corn is the slowest as it is the more dense fuel. then pellets, and then sunflower seeds. sorry, even some things i am not privy to". So it would seem as though the sunflower setting would be dumping more pellets than hardwood, but may provide more air, this would probably explain why the flame height was so high even at low setting.I also kind of thought I was using more fuel on sunflower setting, which in this case would make sense. As I said I am doing good with hardwood high elevation setting. Hope this answers some questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.