Mt. Vernon AE Firmware Upgrade

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

irocrob

Oct 30, 2014
Montague, NJ
The dealer was out to replace a warrantied igniter and also upgraded the firmware version in late 2013. My OCD got the best of me the beginning of last season. I checked all settings as I normally do and wiped out the upgrade by playing around in the "Elevation" table. Back to the original firmware (Rev 020) after that and now the dealer keeps blowing me off since October 2014, well before the season got cold.

Is it possible somewhere to acquire the software and updated firmware version for my Mt. Vernon AE? How about the 8 pin data cable? Is it available or is it possible to make one somehow? Stove is currently running fine and have not had any problems to complain about. I truly really want the newest version for the sake of the igniter even though I know there were some slight changes to the tables and fan operation. I really hate that the igniter doesn't turn off until SSMED is reached. After the dealer first upgraded the firmware the igniter was turning off within a minutes of the stove starting to produce internal heat.

Only dealers are allowed to purchase the cable and have access to the new revisions. As cheap as igniters are, I wouldn' worry about it. As far as other modifications, I never noticed enough difference to bother as I downloaded them into my stove to see how they did, and went back to the old ones. Ignite still shuts off quick, except on corn setting where it is still on for 26 mintues. kap

What is the current rev? Do you have release notes. Mine says 030.

OK, this hits a nerve. If you don't want to read a Quad rant, go to the next post now.

This is one of my big gripes with Quad. If a person is willing to pay a reasonable price for a cable and software, and accept the consequences related to warranties, etc., then they should have access to the equipment. And had I known more about the way some stove manufacturers created these dealer dependencies when I started into pellets, I would likely have a different stove in my house. it creates an unnecessary dependency on their dealer network, and I've met more than one dealer whom I'd rather not allow within 100 yards of my home. If I had someone like Kap to work on my stove, I'd be happy to pay a dealer even for routine maintenance - but that's far from what I've experienced, and the only reason I used the ones I've had here was access to Quad's stupid cable and software, once the warranty was expired. It's the same logic and attitude that forces MVAE owners to buy their wildly inferior, grossly overpriced thermostat, which controls unnecessary amounts of the stove's logic, even though the main board could have contained that, prohibiting use of better tstats from Nest, Honeywell, or others. And if you price one of those boards, you'd think it would contain enough logic to control the stove with just a simple tstat providing input (but that's certainly not the case)!

As for the firrmware upgrade, we had a dealer performing an annual cleaning (before I started doing my own) perform an "upgrade" on our MVAE thermostat firmware about three years ago, at their insistence, to "upgrade" our fuel tables. Our stove never performed so poorly as when it was running under that upgrade, and we had them revert back to the earlier version, which restored it to proper function (and had to argue just to get that done). Of course, it took many days to get back to that version because we had to wait on the dealer to return with his magic cable. The stove has been just fine ever since...

This attitude of unnecessarily proprietary parts and equipment has turned me from being a raving fan of Quad into a person who would have trouble recommending a purchase of their products. They would do well to adopt a different approach, in my view, or I will likely put some other stove into my next home. And when asked by friends for a recommendation, I tell them this story and the story of our installation (by idiots working for the dealer).

I hate to jump on any bandwagon but a "firmware rant" re: Quad is long overdue. The Quadrafire website should have a list by of firmware updates, by date of implementation and stove serial number. As all of us know we can go to a Microsoft, Dell, Lenovo, etc. and get update info. Why not my Quad. I really like my MVAE but DO NOT like the fact that I can't call the company and speak with a service rep. Just my two cents.

You should be able to call your dealer and he should be able to get that information for you. Last major updates were in April of 2008. Except for the modified firepot in 09. Just fuel tables have been changed since then. There are still AE's out there with the original A boards in them, running just fine. I am currently using 020 fuel tables with no issues, with the 456C board. I'm not sticking up for Quad, just saying. And you can talk to me. And I have my beefs with Quad too!. lol kap

How do you guys make out with vehicle repairs and their on-board computers? Got to say, I'm not impressed with those either...

You should be able to call your dealer and he should be able to get that information for you. Last major updates were in April of 2008. Except for the modified firepot in 09. Just fuel tables have been changed since then. There are still AE's out there with the original A boards in them, running just fine. I am currently using 020 fuel tables with no issues, with the 456C board. I'm not sticking up for Quad, just saying. And you can talk to me. And I have my beefs with Quad too!. lol kap
Mine is a mfg 10/ 08 hearth; p/n 7000-456-rev c - what upgrades have you done to your AE, Kap?

I commented on your other post about your questions. I had always kept up with all the upgrades for my stove and customers stoves, and tried to alert others on ibc. through the years when they came out. Biggest issue was the control boards that kept improving when they found issues with the programming in the old boards. And you needed the matching wall control. You have the same control board I have, and hopefully have the same wall control If you look in user settings and you have two fan speeds for your conv fan and an elevation setting, you have it. The firepot I modified myself. I explained who to contact for pics on other post as I don't know how to post pics on here. The only two big issues with the AE are it has a small ashpan, and it can go thru igniters sometimes. Stay warm. kap

I commented on your other post about your questions. I had always kept up with all the upgrades for my stove and customers stoves, and tried to alert others on ibc. through the years when they came out. Biggest issue was the control boards that kept improving when they found issues with the programming in the old boards. And you needed the matching wall control. You have the same control board I have, and hopefully have the same wall control If you look in user settings and you have two fan speeds for your conv fan and an elevation setting, you have it. The firepot I modified myself. I explained who to contact for pics on other post as I don't know how to post pics on here. The only two big issues with the AE are it has a small ashpan, and it can go thru igniters sometimes. Stay warm. kap

I didn't see the post about the modified firepot - can u share the link with me pls? I just purchased a new firepot/igniter/thermocouple upgrades cost me about 170 - not bad compared to what dealers might charge. Now I have to learn how to install the stuff, esp the igniter if it is going to go bad often.

I think you have posted on a couple posts on this forum. One an old one I replied to. All of this is very easy to install. Most of it is covered in the owners manual. There are even how to videos on Quads website. I also posted it may not be the thermocouple for the min. firepot temp. Look at other posts you posted on here,and you should find my replies. kap

You posted on AE opinions, and I replied on that post. And I also posted on your post on upgrades for dummies. kap

Easiest way to do this is one question at a time so we can keep track of what we have gone thru and move to the next issue. First question. Do you have an owners manual?

Reactions: Lake Girl
Status
Not open for further replies.