Mt. Vernon AE Flame Height Adjustment Question!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew1024

Jan 29, 2008
Central NJ
Guys:

I had my flame height set at + 5 figuring it would produce more heat because I have such a large area to cover. Anyway, my dealer came to do my annual clean up and I noticed he changed it to -4. I thought the higher the flame, the more heat would be produced. My flame is still pretty high (6 inches or so) but was wondering what would be the down side of jacking that flame up real high besides it using more pellets? FYI, I have an outside air kit.

I think the concept is to get the flame dancing at the top of the diamond shaped symbol above the burnpot. The are symptoms of burning too lean and too heavy. Check the manual for the recommended flame height at max.

on mine it seems the glass stays cleaner the lower I have it set.

I have found with some pellets in my AE that running too high of a flame height and eventually you start to get an incomplete burn.
Are you really running your stove on HIGH all the time that squeaking out an extra BTU or two makes a difference?

Set your stove to the manual high setting and then set the flame height to whatever it takes to get the flame to the top of the diamond on the baffle. Then when you set the speed to medium or low or whatever you desire, the flame height will automatically adjust accordingly, but it must be set on high for proper flame adjustment. when changing flame height setting, give it a couple minutes to adjust before changing it again.

Just an FYI. I adjusted my flame height to the top of the diamond and it came along with an unpleasant side affect. I didn't correlate it with adjusting the flame height, but my Mt.Vernon's feed motor started ticking loudly when feeding pellets. I could stop the ticking by putting pressure on the feed motor with my hand. I called and set up an appointment to have them come look at it. In the meantime, the owner of where I bought my stove sent an email to Quadrafire's tech support. Their response was that the flame height was to low and to bump it up a couple of notches. I moved the adjustment for -3 to -1 and voila, the ticking is gone. Just thought I'd pass this one along.

Status
Not open for further replies.