mt vernon ae humidity question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pelletkrzd

Jan 2, 2010
northwest NJ
what do you ae owners do to help with adding humidity into house. we use ae to heat our whole house and it gets quite dry. we have been using a two gallon humidifer upstairs near the bedrooms, this helps. Besides getting larger unit any other ideas out there or is this our only option.

I dont have and AE I have a Castile insert, but I think adding a larger humidifier would help you out. I have 2 humidifiers one at each end of the house, I bought a Sears 8 gallon floor model and a Hunter 3 gallon unit. I like them both, and they are evaporative units they do not mist or leave any white residue on anything. These units have a digital humidistat on them and I set them for 45 % humidity which is comfortable for me, I notice I do not get a dry nose, and my skin does not get dry and itchy as it can without those humidifiers.

As far as I know using a good humidifier is the only way to put moisture back into the air in your home. There are many good humidifiers out there nowdays, and most of them wont leave a white powder residue on your furniture like those older units did years ago.

The Sears floor model humidifiers are relatively inexpensive and they do a great job. I also add a anti bacteriostat solution to the water each time I fill it up, this is important to keep bacteria and mold spores out of your air.

I think most of the guys here run humidifiers if you do a search you will find several threads that discuss adding moisture to your home.

It's a bit of a Catch 22 for me. I added cellular blinds which made a major difference in overnight heat loss. However, they insulate so well that if I humidify to recommended levels with the blinds closed, my windows quickly ice up.

I also have the Mt. Vernon AE and I use a humidifier set at 45%. Works very well for us. i keep this downstairs with the stove but am thinking of getting one for upstairs as well.

thanks for the input. Will look into a larger unit for the downstairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.