Mt. Vernon AE Ignition problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tsmith

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2009
Kutztown, PA
Came home today to a cold house, thermostat said missed ignition. I went right to the igniter and ohm'd it out to find it was blown. I had a replacement that I put in and again the stove missed ignition, the ignitor is not getting hot. I ohm'd the new one to be sure it is okay and it was. I disconnected the wires to the ignitor and hooked up my multi-meter to check for AC voltage at the connection to the ignitor from the control board, no voltage. I am assuming there is a fuse on the ignition circuit, is it possible that it blew when the ignitor went bad? Everything else works, the auger drops pellets and the combustion blower starts up like it is supposed to. Where is the fuse located, I have a diagram that shows a 15 amp fuse below the ignitor wire connection on the board but I don't see the fuse, is it on the back side of the board?

From what I am seeing, I will need to remove every wire from the control board and remove the board cover to replace the fuse, Is that correct?

You are correct. The fuse for the igniter is buried in the control board. And remember those wire ends are very fragile. There is a new wire harness out with the fuse inline # SRV7034-273. kap

Thanks, Kap, I have removed the control board and the fuse was blown. I will be getting a new one tomorrow. With the new wire harness with inline fuse I assume I still need to put a fuse in the original location inside the board.

It is not uncommon for the igniter to take a fuse with it when it goes.

Yes, I would still install one in the board. Some have started toasting the board, so I would invest in the new harness. Cheaper then a board. kap

Here's the fuse I added to my stove. It's a 4 amp - enough to power the ignitor, but smaller than the 6 amp on the control board. It's also a standard, easy to find fuse, unlike the one on the board.

IMG_1890.JPG

Reactions: kappel15
Kap, the fuse in the board is a 15 amp, what size are in the new harness and if I looked right they have a fuse on both lines of the new harness correct?

They do have two fuses, but I don't know what size. I have some on order, but they haven't arrived yet. kap

I am planning on installing my own inline fuse holders on my existing harness as well, that's why I am wondering what size fuse they use. I would imagine they would have to be lower amp than what is inside the board so that they would blow first, does this make sense, and how much smaller I am thin king maybe one size less?

I will try and find out later today. Or call your dealer and see if he knows. kap

Thanks

7amp in the new wire harness. Same fuses they use in the old Quad stoves. kap

They also highly recommend using a surge protector to prevent the control board from getting toasted. kap

Status
Not open for further replies.