Mt. Vernon AE ignitor out now what?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeS

Feeling the Heat
Jan 25, 2008
Maryland
Came home started up the stove and nothing. No red glow where the igitor sits. Started it manually and we have fire. Question is if I don't shut it down what will it do? Will it keep trying to ignite and for how long before it shuts itself down?

IIRC it gives up after two failed starts. Replacing the ignitor can be a DIY project. They seem to last about 2 years for most people. Keep a spare on hand.

vgrund said:
IIRC it gives up after two failed starts. Replacing the ignitor can be a DIY project. They seem to last about 2 years for most people. Keep a spare on hand.

Thanks! Actually purchased a 5 year warranty so I can get it replaced for free but I did want to know what would happen if I wasn't around after auto clean to relight it what would happen!

Just be aware, after a couple of aborted starts you'll have a pile of unburned pellets in the ash pan. If you want to do another manual light while you are awaiting on your repair (again, this is why I keep a spare, no wait), empty the ash pan before you light it.

Well I finally got the service tech over to replace the ignitor (free under warranty) and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I was able to get the new burn-pot upgrade for only $56.00 installed!

I look forward to see if there is any difference with ignitor life but that will have to wait since it is in the 70's here today and mid 60's tomorrow!

vgrund said:
What burn pot upgrade? I'm not familiar with it.

Upgrade may not be the right word, new burn-pot design is more like it.

From what I understand the new burn-pot is suppose to increase ignitor life.

The "NEW" burnpot has larger hole opening's in the sleeve that holds the igniter. I replaced mine early this year after a failed igniter. Igniter was 43.00 and burnpot was 82.00. It was a kit that included casket and ingniter with burnport assembly. Very easy to change. Required removing 2 bolts on topside of burnpot. I have not had any problems and I do notice my fire starts a little faster now.

Just got a call for an ignitor issue on the first Mt. Vernon I sold, (9-09 installed). Yep it was dead.

Eric

New burn pot does not fix the problem. I had mine replaced last year and I went through an ignitor already. I would keep an extra on hand, it is almost as easy to change than to manually light a fire. (non-insert) The hardest part is getting the plugs through the hole.

There has to be certain circumstances that are harder on these ignitors.

I have the old burn pot and average 3 years.

What gives?

Status
Not open for further replies.