Mt. Vernon AE insert thermostat wire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjmatte

Hearth Supporter
Dec 2, 2008
Merrimack, NH
I finally am going to mount my thermostat on a wall, but the provided wire isn't long enough. I can't find anywhere in the manual exactly what type of wire to buy. Can I just buy generic thermostat wire?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

It requires 3-conductor wire. They recommend 20 gauge wire, solid copper. Maximum wire length from appliance is 100 feet (30.48m) continuous unspliced wire. Lowes sell the right stuff in custom lengths.

The wire has to be unspliced? My electrian ran my wire and the wire supplied with the stove was about 5 ft short so he spliced it. He put the splice so its easy to get to should there be any trouble. The stove runs fine, will this be a problem?

I have the same unit and I ran the wire down the ash dump of the fireplace thru conduit then accross the basement ceiling and up the wall of the location where I wanted to install the Thermostat. Thermostat wire is fairly in expensive your electrician should of ran an unspliced wire to where you are mounting the thermostat. You really should not have any splices buried in a wall or a ceiling unless there is a junction box.

SteveG said:
The wire has to be unspliced? My electrian ran my wire and the wire supplied with the stove was about 5 ft short so he spliced it. He put the splice so its easy to get to should there be any trouble. The stove runs fine, will this be a problem?

I was quoting from the owners manual, which you can find on the Quad site. The last thing you want is for a wire to become loose in a wall. Use a continuous run of wire.

I think they state unspliced more for the inconvieance of having to trace a possible break if the splice lets go. I don't think there is any need to worry if it comes loose... it is only 3.3 and 5v if I recall correctly--its a low voltage device (LVD).

The correct wire is 3 conductor thermostat wire; I picked up 100ft at Home Depot last year. I believe the correct wire is actually 18g but I'm sure you can get away with 20g.... hell, you could use solid core CAT5 if you wanted.

My electrican told me about the splice and he showed me where he put it. Should there be any problem with it.

Yeah I wouldn't be concerned about it either... a good splice should NEVER come apart! I'm sure the electrician knows how to do a good splice.

Also, a junction box is not needed for LVD wires. Wrap it with some electric tape and/or some heat shrink tubing and your good to go....

Mainegeek, I quoted 20 gauge from the owners manual, page 6. I ran a custom length of wire by myself, I believe it was actually 18g but I can't remember. No biggie either way. Biggest PITA was fishing it up through the wall and that only took about 20 minutes. Other than that it was a simple run from the ash cleanout, up a tackboard I installed on the concrete wall, and across the basement ceiling. It was so simple to use a continuous wire, I wouldn't have done it any other way. It's low voltage, so I agree there is probably no splice risk other than inconvenience. Worst case you run a new wire, right?

VG

Yeah, I ran my thermostat wire up the cavity near my chimney. I didn't realize at the time that I had to cut through two layers of sheet rock.... that was the biggest pain for me. I agree, I'm sure 20g is fine. I only mentioned 18g because that is what solid core CAT5 is; definitely more then needed but something I, personally, have an abundance of.

Running a single wire is always easiest.... but it also depends on where the splice will be. If it's in a tough to reach cavity then I'd either run an entirely new line or cut that line back so the splice is at an accessible location...

I ran my Mt Vernon themostat wire across the basement and added another 15 feet with a splice to the factory wire. The dealer said they don't recommend splices but if it is accessible, it shouldn't be a problem. If the splice is in a bad spot with moisture and it develops a high resistance, it will cause all kinds of problems with the thermostat.
Like was said in an earlier post, if it is a good splice it will be ok.

pellet burner said:
I ran my Mt Vernon themostat wire across the basement and added another 15 feet with a splice to the factory wire. The dealer said they don't recommend splices but if it is accessible, it shouldn't be a problem. If the splice is in a bad spot with moisture and it develops a high resistance, it will cause all kinds of problems with the thermostat.
Like was said in an earlier post, if it is a good splice it will be ok.

Tip: If your worried about moisture then splice the wires like usual then coat the exposed wires in petroleum jelly then cover the exposed wires coated in petroleum jelly with a good fitting shrink wrap tube.

Personally, I've never bothered to do this but this will prevent resistance due to moisture.

Status
Not open for further replies.