Mt Vernon AE Insert Ticking Sound

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyG

Feb 7, 2013
SE PA near Philly
If you have ever heard a ceiling fan ticking, that is about what it sounds like. It does not do it all the time, I would say I hear the sound about once a week or so.

Is that normal?

It is the auger and it only does it when the stove is running on low.

Next time you hear it lift the lid and see if it stops.

Quad has never addressed the issue.

Reactions: smoke show
i remember awhile ago something about this w/ the AE. I think a motor needs replaced if I remember corrrectly. Hopefully someone will chime in.

Or it could be thermal expansion/contraction causing the cast iron parts to shift against each other. If this were the case, it would be most noticeable while the stove is heating up.

there was a service bulletin/email about the AE's having an issue with the auger motors ticking, the fix was a new auger motor, i forget for sure but i think it was something to do with the gears in the motor and they were in talks with the manufacture to get it fixed. although when i called the tec. he couldn't find the service bulletin but he sent me these dates and serial #'s
Mt. Vernon A.E. Freestanding units.
00700111762 - 00700112417
Mt. Vernon A.E. Insert units.
00700207971 - 00700208513
All potentially effected units were manufactured April 2012 - August 2012
and i've heard the convection blowers tick as well from not being seated well

Status
Not open for further replies.