Mt Vernon AE issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hey Kap, quick question. Any recommendations for the rusty rail and other components beneath the fire pot. (WD 40) ? Putting the new parts on, figured it might not be a bad idea for preventative measures. Thanks.

Smart thinking on your part, to clean things while you are in there.Use some steel wool, or emery cloth to sand the rust off. Then I would use some high temp anti-seize grease on the rails. Sparingly of course. WD40 is flammable. kap

After cleaning and lubricating the rails, installing new fire pot, gasket and bolts, new TC (making sure to route the TC and igniter wires correctly) and a newer igniter; my wife and I are happy to report, the stove appears to running flawlessly. Thanks a ton Kap, couldn't have done it with out ya.

Reactions: DMKNLD
Glad you are up and running. And it looks like you are learning the ins and outs of your stove. Knowledge is of the utmost importance, when owning a stove. And congratulate yourself. You did most of the work. Stay warm. kap

Glad you are up and running. And it looks like you are learning the ins and outs of your stove. Knowledge is of the utmost importance, when owning a stove. And congratulate yourself. You did most of the work. Stay warm. kap
Kap, quick question regarding the Wall mounted Thermostat. Even when not touching the thermostat and getting the static electricity screen reset; I have observed the screen dark. I checked the connections at the stove and the thermo, was looking for your insight. (Stove is still burning/operating like a champ). Was considering running some new thermo wire.

The wire ends on the tstat wires that connect to the stove are weak. Cut them off and just connect wires to screws. Also, on the other side of those connections, the wires have a zip tie around them, that can be too tight. Cut it off also. This should help your issue. And if you get some new tstat wire(which this is three wire), get a better gauge as that is part of the issue too. And remember, it is color coded. Stay warm. kap

The wire ends on the tstat wires that connect to the stove are weak. Cut them off and just connect wires to screws. Also, on the other side of those connections, the wires have a zip tie around them, that can be too tight. Cut it off also. This should help your issue. And if you get some new tstat wire(which this is three wire), get a better gauge as that is part of the issue too. And remember, it is color coded. Stay warm. kap
This sounds like an issue we have had as well. We took Kap's suggestions and they corrected the problem, except that it sometimes recurs if we have cut power to the stove. A shutdown, unplug for MORE than a few minutes (an hour or so), and restart cures it.

Kap, long time, hope all is well with you; and stove still runs like a champ. Question though, dark soot on baffle and glass. (Just creosote right)? Read something about flame height and burn temp settings to "burn it off". Any suggestions, as always are greatly appreciated.

What are you burning? Sounds like a cleaning is in order of exhaust path. This means thru stove, starting with pot. Making sure all holes are clear. Also make sure pot floor is making good contact with pot. No gap. When you pull baffle, make sure to vacuum holes on bottom of each side of fins. And then exhaust pipe. Have you ever cleaned out exhaust fan? If you run too much on low settings, stove will get dirty. Stay in touch. kap