Mt Vernon AE - Micro Switch replacement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nalias

Nov 14, 2016
Michigan
Equipment: Mt Vernon AE about 10 yrs old. Rev B control board and thermostat

Problem: Autoclean continuous cycling. The pot floor seems to close all the way (no gap that I can see), but returns back again, repeating until I get a Check Ashpan error on thermostat.

What I’ve done:

1. cleaned the entire stove. wire brushed the pot floor and firepot. cleaned the rails and lubricated with high temp grease. fail

2. used a screw driver to manually assist in moving the pot floor further on closing (with a magnet on the door switch so that it thinks its closed). fail

3. pulled the ash pan and tried to push the pot floor closed from underneath. fail

4. checked the bolt on the autoclean arm to ensure not loose. tight

5. removed the firepot. restarting without it. still will not stop at close. (then cleaned the firepot, pot floor, and rails better yet)

6. made sure no loose wire connections on control board and autoclean system. fail

I read that it could be the micro switch on the autoclean system, either bad or possibly dirty(?).

So: I removed the left side panel. Removed the control board. Removed the blower. Removed the control board bracket and the panel to expose the back of the autoclean motor and arm.

Question: Everything is still apart. Firepot removed. Autoclean exposed. Does it appear to be the micro switch? If so, where the heck is it? And can it be simply replaced, or do I need to replace the entire autoclean system?

P.S. I have an additional unused stove for parts that has a working autoclean system. I would prefer to pop in its micro switch (as opposed to changing the entire autoclean system). I would also rather not clean off the micro switch (if that can even works) since I don’t want go through this pain twice.

I would greatly appreciate any help

Manual page 37 shows exploded version of auto clean and notes the microswitch location as 34.2. replacement part # 7000-327
http://downloads.hearthnhome.com/installManuals/7034_276.pdf

Check your wiring connections to the microswitch to ensure all is intact as it almost seems like it is not registering that it completed the cycle. Thermocouple connection should also be checked. Apparently there was a board revision too... page 13
http://www.tallpinesfarm.com/assets/Quadra-Fire-Mt-Vernon-Troubleshooting-Manual.pdf

Reactions: kappel15
Let us know if you swap out the microswitch and whether that is the fix...

ok, all is warm again. I didn't change the microswitch, mostly because I wasn't sure how it came off. I did clean it and worked some wd40 into the trigger mechanism. I also made sure the connections were secure when I replaced the control board, as you suggested.

I'm not certain what was wrong, but I would guess that you were right on a loose connection.

thanks again for your help

Reactions: kappel15
Glad to hear it started working the way it was supposed to. Could have been a gooped up mechanism not making contact too.

Status
Not open for further replies.