Mt Vernon AE or Classic Bay 1200i

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kellyrie

Jan 23, 2008
Maine
I am trying to decide between these two inserts. My house is approx 2200 square feet and the fireplace is in a 30x30 one story section and attached to that is a 25x25 raised ranch. (if that makes any sense) Although both of these have the capacity to heat more than 2200 square feet based on the conditions that it was tested at, I wonder if I would be better off with the Mt Vernon because of the house set up and the cold winters we can get in ME? I of course would like to save the approx 1k, however I'm afraid I might be disappointed in how well it heats my house... Thanks for any thoughts and comments you may have!

I think the MT Vernon still has some pretty serious issues and at 2200 sq in ME i am not sure you will be able to heat the whole house with either. the 1200 is an old reliable work horse and for the price diffrence i would pick the 1200 hands down

We have installed 3 Mt Vernon AE's this year so far. Been working flawlessly. I would go for the AE. But hey, I love technology.

Also if you can go to a dealer with a Mt Vernon and any other Quad on display. Listen to one compared to the other. Mt Vernon AE is SILENT. Actually the one we installed last month the installer called and thought it was broken. He couldn't hear the auger moving. Then after a few minutes the pellets started dropping. He could not believe it.

I saw a new Mount Vernon on display and I was impressed with it. It was throwing a lot of heat and it was so quiet. That's my next stove. My CB 1200 works well, but I find it hard to adjust and needs to be cleaned more often.

i have been the proud owner of a Mt Vernon for 1 month now. The wife and I love it. Have not had any problems with it at all...knock on wood. I did the install myself. The hardest part was finding friends stupid enough to move 425 lbs down the steps to the basement level. Amazing what a case of beer and food made by the wife can get friends to do.....lol.

Thanks everyone! I just found out that my measurements were off and my opening is a 1/2" too small for the Mt Vernon... Think I will keep searching and see what else is available in this area.
Thanks again!

think i would find away to make it fit. it is the best stove out there for ease of use and maintenance....in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.