mt vernon AE possible gasket problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
I'm hoping someone out there can help. Our 4 yer old Mt Vernon AE pellet stove quick working suddenly a week ago. We have cleaned it inside and out, taken the side and back off pulled the auger out, cleaned the combustion motor and replaced the igniter. Everything seems to function properly, the thermostat doesn't have any error messages. The thremostate says start up, the auger turns the pellets drop, the igniter lights and the inside of the stove fills with smoke, alot of smoke. normally the pellets catch on fire and the chamber empties of smoke and the stove works. Now the smoke continues to fill the chamber but no fire comes out of the pot. Do you think the new igniter is defective? Could we need a new gasket or rope around the glass? WE are stumped, and cold. Any help would be greatly appriciated :)

Maybe the pellets? Have you changed to a different brand lately? Just a thought. :roll:

It could just be the ignitor is sightly misaligned. Also, make sure the front But, there is also a redesigned firepot that might help, so you might want to talk to your dealer. Of course, with a 4 year old stove, you are out of warranty so it would cost you for the upgrade.

thanks everyone for your responses. Quadrafire realized there isn't enough air draw so our dealer is reaplacing the firepot for free which is great. That wont come inuntil next week though. We were able to resolve the problem by attaching a 5 inch piece of outdoor hose to our shop vac and sucking the exhaust pipe out completely we also replaced the exhaust pan gasket with the new silicone one they recommend. The old one we took out looked completely burnd and frayed so I'm glad we replaced it. so I guess one of those things did it. How often do you guys recommend replacing the rope gasket around the glass door? Thanks so much again for your respnses since we are out of warrenty on our stove, we are trying to really get to know this stove inside and out so that when something goes wrong we can figure out what is it.

Thanks again,
Kate

historic farmhouse in pa said:
How often do you guys recommend replacing the rope gasket around the glass door?

as needed.
when frayed.
I'm on year three.
still looks good.
glad your problems are resolved.

historic farmhouse in pa said:
thanks everyone for your responses. Quadrafire realized there isn't enough air draw so our dealer is reaplacing the firepot for free which is great. That wont come inuntil next week though. We were able to resolve the problem by attaching a 5 inch piece of outdoor hose to our shop vac and sucking the exhaust pipe out completely we also replaced the exhaust pan gasket with the new silicone one they recommend. The old one we took out looked completely burnd and frayed so I'm glad we replaced it. so I guess one of those things did it. How often do you guys recommend replacing the rope gasket around the glass door? Thanks so much again for your respnses since we are out of warrenty on our stove, we are trying to really get to know this stove inside and out so that when something goes wrong we can figure out what is it.

Thanks again,
Kate

Wow, that is great they are giving you a new firepot for free after 4 years!

Status
Not open for further replies.