MT Vernon AE questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mithesaint

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2011
NW Ohio
I might have the chance to pick up a relatively new Mt Vernon AE for my basement. I'm already heating the rest of the house with a 10-CPM, so this would be basement duty only.

Is this a good stove? Easy to use? Reliable? It would only need to heat about 1000 sq ft. Any issues to specifically look for?

I'm 2nd in line, so I'm not getting my hopes up, but wanted to get feedback just in case.

Thanks in advance.

I've only had mine for one year, but I love my Mt Vernon. I heat the downstairs 1400 sqft of my house with some heat rising to the second floor through the hallway and I am nowhere near its capacity.
My only problem has been a failed starter which was replaced by the service group that installed it stove. I know from talking with the tech that the starter was redesigned to address the problem. The problem was that the AE in automatic mode pulls less combustion air during startup. That was causing the starter to overheat. The new starter is lower wattage, but still starts combustion very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.