Mt Vernon AE Snap disk melted mutiple error messages

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGISLANDHIKERS

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Sep 12, 2007
Came home today and could smell something hot. Stove was not running but was still hot. There were pellet coals smoldering in the burnpot. Had multiple messages including snapdisk, comb blower jamb and conv blower jamb. Discovered that the resettable snap disk on the auger was burned up. One of the blue connections was melted.

I cut the ends off and bypassed the snapdisk. Stove starts right up now.

It doesn't look like there was a fire in the drop tube.

Any ideas would could have casued the wire to burn up?

Thanks
BIH

Barring excessive temps in that area, a defective snap switch could burn the insulation on the wires, if the switch handles 115 volts. Bad contacts inside the switch could get very hot, and the heat would be conducted to the wires, melting the insulation. A new snap switch would cure that. Please don't run the stove with the switch jumped, it's an important safety feature!

heat seeker said:
Barring excessive temps in that area, a defective snap switch could burn the insulation on the wires, if the switch handles 115 volts. Bad contacts inside the switch could get very hot, and the heat would be conducted to the wires, melting the insulation. A new snap switch would cure that. Please don't run the stove with the switch jumped, it's an important safety feature!

My dealer has a new snap disk for me. Will run as long as somone is home and I get it replaced. Thanks!
BIH

Now I have a augerjamb error. Unplugged and it seems to be restarting ok. Perhaps not related, I hope.

BIH

I dont think there is enough amps running thru the snap switch to burn it up due to bad contacts? Sounds like the tube got hot enough to melt it.

rickwai said:
I dont think there is enough amps running thru the snap switch to burn it up due to bad contacts? Sounds like the tube got hot enough to melt it.

Thats what I was wondering. Do you think a tube fire would get hot enought to melt the connections?

I continued to get the jammed auger message. I pulled out the pellets and vaccumed out as much as a could. I still got another jammed auger message. I tapped on the auger casing and lots of sawdust fell into the drop tube even though I had already vaccumed. I have not had an auger error since.

I plan on pulling the auger out and seeing if there is more sawdust in there.

BIH

BIGISLANDHIKERS said:
I tapped on the auger casing and lots of sawdust fell into the drop tube even though I had already vaccumed.
BIH

Good to know. Might be a good idea to do this occasionally.

I need to look into pulling the auger and seeing what's in there.

To many fines in the auger tube. I would look into the pellets or your lack of cleaning the hopper once a month.

Eric

rickwai said:

Does anyone else have an opinion on this? I am having a hard time imagining the outside of the droptube getting hot enough to melt just the one connection. The whole wire harness runs right next to it. It seems thoses wire would have melted also.

If the heat did come from the droptube would it have been able conduct through the snap disc? Or would it have just heated the whole area possibly melting anything around it?

Thanks
BIH

BIGISLANDHIKERS said:
rickwai said:

Does anyone else have an opinion on this? I am having a hard time imagining the outside of the droptube getting hot enough to melt just the one connection. The whole wire harness runs right next to it. It seems thoses wire would have melted also.

If the heat did come from the droptube would it have been able conduct through the snap disc? Or would it have just heated the whole area possibly melting anything around it?

Thanks
BIH

Would you please post a picture of the snap disc that failed.

Loose connections or contacts can arc and that will definitely produce the temperatures need to cause damage.

From my experience one melted wire is high resistance. I am not sure what voltage goes through that snap disc.

i have seen those wires melt a few times have never got a good answear from quad but i would replace the wire harnes section for the snap switch back to ther board and the the switch and you should be good

slls said:
From my experience one melted wire is high resistance. I am not sure what voltage goes through that snap disc.

There is some evidence of heat on the other but rather minor. I'm thinking perhaps it is heat from the one the melted.

Im will get a picture loaded.

Thanks
BIH

If it's just the one wire, and not both going to the switch, it may be a bad connection either between the terminal and the switch, or between the terminal and the wire itself.

I've seen that occur many times on other types of equipment.

That is strange. Allthe sensors on the quad are pilot duty I think. So w/ next to no amp draw it would be tough to heat up a connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.