mt vernon ae

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnydext

Dec 3, 2010
usa
hello, i have been online researching stoves, the harmond xxv and the mt vernon. we really like the look,out put(btu), and the construction of the mt vernon, however harmon seem to have made a very good name for them selves and few complaint of the xxv's performance. some blogs have really throw the mt vernon under the bus, real horror stories. We we about to buy one before we read of this. are these just unlucky people i know all stove have problems? and are there any other stove with the same styling from other manufactures that are better? Thank you. "looking for a stove before the tax credit expires"

This is our 3rd season with Mt. Vernon AE. We heat approx 3000 sq. stove runs all day when cold enough. We had to replace baffle plate in rear of stove due to defect and ceramic cover over the thermocoupler had to be replaced. Plate was covered under warranty thermocoupler cover cost me 40.00. They are only issues we have had and seem minor to me. Not bad considering I was spending upwards of 3000.oo for fuel oil, and now I spend 1200.00 for pellets and house is much more comfortable. I looked @ XXV also but the AE held more pellets, and I thought it was quieter, and definately more BTU's from what i remember. Which ever you choose be sure you are dealing with reputable dealer, that may cut down on any issues that may arise. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

your welcome......beginning of season we use auto, once temp dips below 40 i go to manual mode and its stays there until it warms up again in spring. I live in northern NJ so far burnt 1 ton, but average 5 tons per year. I have been doing the routine cleanings weekly and after every ton. I even tackle the annual cleaning in the spring of the flue pipes and such, then close it up for the summer. I have been happy with the AE and would buy one again, but I have heard of horror stories also. I think you have that with anything. Dont forget the AE is relatively new maybe 5 years old now. I am sure Quad has had issues that popped up over the years that they have needed to revamp. FYI father in law has same stove and has been pleased. When I tell u it heats whole house it does, 3000 sq. ft colonial, stove is positioned at base of stairs. Heat climbs upstairs to point where we crack windows at times it gets so warm up there, I use 1 fan down stairs to help direct the heat into our addition we have added. Furnace has not been used for 3 years now. Good Luck with your decision.

Dont know how much research you have done but another plus for us was that the Mt. Vernon holds 2 bags of pellets I think XXV only holds 1.

I think most of the problems with the mt vernon AE were early in production.
most problems have been ironed out now.
also alot of problems were when burning corn.

I'm on my third season with a Mount Vernon AE. I've had absolutely no problems. When I bought mine, the AE had lots off issues but my dealer convinced me that they had been pretty much addressed. I'm very pleased with my purchase. We're in Connecticut and I run mine on auto almost all the time. The only time I've put on manual was when it was -10 outside. I'm counting the dollars I'm going to save this year now that heating oil is $3.00 a gallon.

Coming up on two years having mine. No regrets at all. The thing will burn any wood pellet without a problem. I've never tried corn or sunflower seeds yet (don't want to attract critters). That being said, after having been on this forum and reading everything about what others have, I probably would have checked out a few others too. The new Enviro M55 cast looks very similar in style.

Just remember, most people come on the net to complain or look for help when having problems, and that is what you read. Not many log in just to say the stove is running great. So consider the source..............Brian

I have one of the first MT AE inserts produced and have had pretty good luck with it. Has it been problem free, NO, but I have figured it out and gotten most of the problems repaired under warranty, most of the time getting the parts from my dealer and installing them my self. The only one so far not covered was the igniter that failed at the 3+ year mark. I keep a couple on hand so I just replaced it my self. My selling dealer has been good about getting the parts but is lacking in the workings of this stove. My recommendations are the same as others get a good dealer and if issues arise they will take care of you. I run it in the manual mode as the auto settings seemed to use more fuel for my setup.

I don't think they have fixed all the gremlins in this stove. I'm on my second season and just about everything has been replaced. I'm on my third control board and second thermostat. And some other parts too. I had the original baffle and ignitor. Like I've said before when it's running good it heats well. I've never had any down time because my dealer has the parts in stock and is using to replacing a lot of parts on these stoves. This stove relies way too much on the computer (which has been replaced). This thing is wacky and needs to be rebooted from time to time. I have a CB 1200 which is so simple and easy to fix.

This is my last Mt Vernon and I would not tell anyone to buy this stove EVER!!!!

I'm on my 3rd season. The 1st season we had it installed mid season (Feb) so maybe call it 2.5 seasons. In the first short season, the temperature probe failed. During replacement it was discovered that the ceramic cover had cracked which explains why the probe failed. It was replaced under warranty. I worry the cover crack was my fault from too aggressive cleaning of the burn pot. I am much more careful around the probe now. Other than that we have had no issues and we love the stove. It changed the character of our home in winter. We would not go back.

Our power is a bit dodgy, so rather than a simple surge suppressor I have the stove on a UPS that evens out the power. Perhaps that is a factor.

I don't want to hijack this thread into yet another ash vacuum debate, but we got one of those at the start of this season and we now love the stove even more! The cleaning is fast and now very nearly dust free. If someone made a brush attachment with longer bristles (!), I could give up my paint brush technique for cleaning the heat exchanger and the process would be completely dust free.

I'm on my third season with the AE and my only issue was the baffle mentioned in an earlier reply. I noticed a crack in the baffle towards the end of the first heating season and called the shop that sold me the stove. They said it was a known problem and covered under warranty. It wasn't a bad crack so I procrastinated for over a year. This fall I finally got around to returning the baffle to the store. They looked up my report of the issue from a year earlier and handed me a new baffle without cost or question. Other than yearly cleanings the only thing I've paid for is pellets.

SteveG said:
I don't think they have fixed all the gremlins in this stove. I'm on my second season and just about everything has been replaced. I'm on my third control board and second thermostat. And some other parts too. I had the original baffle and ignitor. Like I've said before when it's running good it heats well. I've never had any down time because my dealer has the parts in stock and is using to replacing a lot of parts on these stoves. This stove relies way too much on the computer (which has been replaced). This thing is wacky and needs to be rebooted from time to time. I have a CB 1200 which is so simple and easy to fix.

This is my last Mt Vernon and I would not tell anyone to buy this stove EVER!!!!

Like you I also had too numerous issues to even begin to speak about however that being said my dealer finally pulled the stove and replaced it with a brand new AE. I have not had an issue since. If you are still having problems get your dealer to replace the stove.

sweetsncheese said:
I'm on my third season with the AE and my only issue was the baffle mentioned in an earlier reply. I noticed a crack in the baffle towards the end of the first heating season and called the shop that sold me the stove. They said it was a known problem and covered under warranty. It wasn't a bad crack so I procrastinated for over a year. This fall I finally got around to returning the baffle to the store. They looked up my report of the issue from a year earlier and handed me a new baffle without cost or question. Other than yearly cleanings the only thing I've paid for is pellets.

Was the crack around the diamond? I read about that but haven't experience any issues myself.

I hear alot of people cite the higher btu of the AE as one of the reasons for getting this stove. Granted it is nice having it for really short burns but I rarely run it on high. I could not afford the pellets it would go through on high.

I am on my 4th season with the AE. My biggest complaint is that it shuts down every time it self cleans. Every time it shuts down it has to restart using an ignitor that does not have a very good track record.

It's a great looking stove and heats well.

BIH

I don't know if anyone touched on this yet,but the MT Vernon can also run on DC. You can hook a deep cycle battery to it,incase you lose power. Of course you have to buy the cable,but it is another plus.

Yes, this is a potential advantage of this stove. It wasn't for me because I also have to worry about a refrigerators, freezer and well pump that all require AC.

BIGISLANDHIKERS said:
I hear alot of people cite the higher btu of the AE as one of the reasons for getting this stove. Granted it is nice having it for really short burns but I rarely run it on high. I could not afford the pellets it would go through on high.
BIH

I often run on MH but I am heating a fairly large space that is not in a "box" (i.e. Colonial) configuration. It seems to need it (the stove is running a long time between autocleaning cycles and not short cycling). I'm still saving a fortune versus "propain".

vgrund said:
BIGISLANDHIKERS said:
BIH

I often run on MH but I am heating a fairly large space that is not in a "box" (i.e. Colonial) configuration. It seems to need it (the stove is running a long time between autocleaning cycles and not short cycling). I'm still saving a fortune versus "propain".

How many bags a day do you burn on MH?

We burn anywhere between 1 and 2 bags a day, depending on outside temperatures. Right now it's ~1.5 bags / day. That's just a swag.

vgrund said:
We burn anywhere between 1 and 2 bags a day, depending on outside temperatures. Right now it's ~1.5 bags / day. That's just a swag.

How many hours a day is your stove running? Here in Michigan it runs pretty much 24/7 this time of year.

vgrund said:
Was the crack around the diamond? I read about that but haven't experience any issues myself.

It wasn't around the diamond but now I forget whether it was from the bottom up to the diamond or from the top down to the diamond. If it happens, it will be very obvious to the naked eye.

BIGISLANDHIKERS said:
vgrund said:
BIGISLANDHIKERS said:
BIH

How many bags a day do you burn on MH?

on days where it's 20 or below, we run it on MH and it lasts about 15 hours on a bag.

Mt Vernon AE is the quietest stove by far. It is one of the best looking stoves. It burns and heats great...... when everything is working correctly. I have not owned one I have just serviced them. They are VERY complicated with at least 2x as many sensors, motors ect. They are not very handy to service either. circuit board replacement is major surgery due to each sensor having individual plug and no slack in wires. Dist fan replacement is a bear to get the push pin back in because it is buried. After servicing them i would not buy one

rickwa said:
Mt Vernon AE is the quietest stove by far. It is one of the best looking stoves. It burns and heats great...... when everything is working correctly. I have not owned one I have just serviced them. They are VERY complicated with at least 2x as many sensors, motors ect. They are not very handy to service either. circuit board replacement is major surgery due to each sensor having individual plug and no slack in wires. Dist fan replacement is a bear to get the push pin back in because it is buried. After servicing them i would not buy one

IMO the control board is a minor issue, I believe most bugs have been worked out of the software by now. I work on these too and can change a control board in under 15 mins. Each connector is different so they can't be mixed up. The dist blower connection has been changed to a spring latch type system so you can get in the mounting hole and tip it foward and it will latch in. I believe as far as maintainence goes the Mt Vernon is a pretty simple and quick unit to maintain for the average homeowner.

Status
Not open for further replies.