Mt. Vernon auto clean not working

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tdkstg

Feb 28, 2011
Southern CT
A bit new to the posting side of the site but have been reading long enough to start asking. This is my 3rd season burning my mt vernon, about to open the 10th ton. A few weeks back I noticed the auto clean feature was not always working. The stove runs in auto always and usually runs between med and m/l. The stove is turning on and off as usual except it is jumping past the clean cucle. This I have watched and takes some time. Additionally, I have read on this site in most cases the clean cycle is in the 2 hour range, where this stove has always ran in the 6 to 8 hour range. I have used Cubex for the first 2 years and this year changed to the clean fuel sold at my local Lowes. I had no issues with the first 2 tons this year and now this issue. In many cases the only way to "force" a clean is to unplug the stove but that is only going to lead to other problems.

Has this happened to other people or is this a unique problem.

I don't recall mine ever miss a clean cycle. I have 1 stove that was purchased in 07, and I don't think it has missed a clean cycle.

This stove has run well up to this issue. As part of this issue the stove had compleetly filled the burn pot, including filling the feed chute. I have not had a major problem as of yet but I dont want one as the stove runs 24/7 and I cant be here to watch all day.

sounds like maybe your feed rate may be too high, what is your flame height set at? I have had problems with my pellets forming a clinker in the pot and not falling out on auto clean, causing the pot to keep filling to the top, this may also be your problem as well.

The flame setiing is at -3 and has been from the day 1. All systems seem to work the same except the auto clean feature, whch does work if unplugged enough times.

when is the last time you cleaned the venting?

Eric

As a general rule I clean the unit weekly. This is a wall exhausted unit wit only 4' of pipe attached to the discharge. usually I clean the combustion fan and associated area after 2 tons including the exhaust.

Are you sure its not doing the clean cycle but the ash is sticking to the sides of the pot and not dumping into the ashpan?

You wouldn't by chance see the battery icon on your screen would you?

I had this happen to me once where the stove seemed to think it was running off an external battery.

No, the battery icon is not on although I do have the cable/battery and have seen the icon.

If anyone out there does not have the battery backup, get it, you appreciate it the first time the lights go out.

Status
Not open for further replies.