Mt Vernon autoclean cycle times?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

3jfk

Nov 21, 2010
Bloomsburg PA
I'm a new owner of a Mt Vernon, no issues and very pleased with the performance and efficiency.

But would like to know your average cycle time of a autoclean, from shutdown to start-up? Ive read posts saying it can take 25-30 mins for the clean.

My stove is running in Auto most of the time using Stove Chow/Somerset pellets - on Hardwood setting. The cleaning cycle is around 12 mins and it does this every 4 to 5+ hours. I am very pleased with this and the wall thermostat shows no temperature drop. No issues with clinkers or any build up in burn pot.

Heating a 2800 sqft 1998 colonial house, open plan. Running around 18 hours per day and using one bag of pellets a day.

Thanks, Jon

Attachments

• Mt V.jpg
    Mt V.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 388
Nice looking stove and install.
Softwood will give the longest burn time before auto clean, around 3.2 hours in the highest setting. Next would be sunflower seeds and corn at around 2.4 hours then hardwood at around 2.1 hours. After that wheat runs around 1.8 and utility pellet runs around 1.2 hours. All these run times are in the manual 5 setting and will be longer in the lower settings and on auto.
I have been running mine in sunflower seeds and high elevation and just recently have been trying the auto setting with a 2 degree room temp differential. So far is has been holding the temp swings in the house a little better running it this way. Before that I was using the manual 2,3 or 4 depending on outside temps and a 1.5 degree room temp differential. Running it in high elevation has allowed me to get my flame height settings closer to the 0 setting, before this I was always at -5 to keep the flame height down. I will have to see if the auto setting will keep the house warm in the real cold weather, time will tell.

Thats a thing of beauty there...

FordMastertech said:
Nice looking stove and install.
Softwood will give the longest burn time before auto clean, around 3.2 hours in the highest setting. Next would be sunflower seeds and corn at around 2.4 hours then hardwood at around 2.1 hours. After that wheat runs around 1.8 and utility pellet runs around 1.2 hours. All these run times are in the manual 5 setting and will be longer in the lower settings and on auto.
I have been running mine in sunflower seeds and high elevation and just recently have been trying the auto setting with a 2 degree room temp differential. So far is has been holding the temp swings in the house a little better running it this way. Before that I was using the manual 2,3 or 4 depending on outside temps and a 1.5 degree room temp differential. Running it in high elevation has allowed me to get my flame height settings closer to the 0 setting, before this I was always at -5 to keep the flame height down. I will have to see if the auto setting will keep the house warm in the real cold weather, time will tell.

Thanks Guys for the replies.

So with me running the stove in auto it spends most it's time between med & low to maintain the room temp 71f - So is this why it only autocleans every 4 to 5 hours?
AE running with normal elevation and a -2 flame height, and room temp diff @ 2.0.

Outside temps here have been between 14f to 33f (night & day) over the last week, but the house has never been so warm!! Should have bought one years ago!
Thanks

I believe the published autoclean times are when running manual high, so running auto you should expect longer.

3jfk said:
I'm a new owner of a Mt Vernon, no issues and very pleased with the performance and efficiency.

But would like to know your average cycle time of a autoclean, from shutdown to start-up? Ive read posts saying it can take 25-30 mins for the clean.

My stove is running in Auto most of the time using Stove Chow/Somerset pellets - on Hardwood setting. The cleaning cycle is around 12 mins and it does this every 4 to 5+ hours. I am very pleased with this and the wall thermostat shows no temperature drop. No issues with clinkers or any build up in burn pot.

Heating a 2800 sqft 1998 colonial house, open plan. Running around 18 hours per day and using one bag of pellets a day.

Thanks, Jon

Wow why change anything???????? HEating 2800 square feet, its the most comfortable you have ever been AND you are only burning one bag

Nice looking stove there Jon, Heating 2800 sqft on a bag a day is "outstanding". I wouldn't change anything. Sounds like its dialed in nicely.

what happens during the other 6 hours of the day?
or is it shut off because the thermo is satisfied?

pelletkrzd said:
3jfk said:

Thanks, Jon

Wow why change anything???????? HEating 2800 square feet, its the most comfortable you have ever been AND you are only burning one bag
Hi, I don't want to change anything. Just want to know where the 30 mins autoclean cycles are, that I read about. I am not seeing them plus the run time between cleans is very good at 4 to 5 hours.

smoke show said:
what happens during the other 6 hours of the day?
or is it shut off because the thermo is satisfied?

We are currently shutting down for the night. I get up in the morning & clean stove out and fire up for the day.
This is my first solid fuel stove so taking my time with it. Thermo not shuting stove off due to running in Auto.

j-takeman said:
Nice looking stove there Jon, Heating 2800 sqft on a bag a day is "outstanding". I wouldn't change anything. Sounds like its dialed in nicely.

Thanks there j-takeman. And I would like to thank the people on this forum for their advice and knowledge that help me select the stove, build the hearth and install the AE.
The heat output even on low is excellent and I placed the stove in the family room one end of the house but facing towards the stairs so evenly splitting the temp. The only area not so good is the 4th bedroom above the garage - opposite side of the house 64f.
My routine every evening is to add the pellets around 8-9pm but tonight Im going to struggle to add a full bag! Ill have to turn the heat up!

I never timed the autoclean cycle on mine as the house only loses a couple tenths of a degree during a cycle.

I agree the autoclean times aren't too bad when using auto mode.

Also mine will shutoff running auto, so my house must be tighter than most.

Theres a couple folks here on the forum that have buyers remorse and are more likely to exaggerate its weaknesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.