Mt Vernon Black Soot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimvern12

Mar 14, 2015
NE
Hi, I have a Mt Vernon AE purchased last year. I have an issue and would like some advice from fellow MVAE owners. This season I've burned this season 1 ton Turman and 1 ton Barefoots. I started burning Okanagan Douglas Fir since that's the only bags I have left this season. When I started burning the Okanagan I started getting a black soot on my glass and baffle. I've done a through cleaning of the two exhaust ports, baffle, burn pot, combustion fan, exhaust port, and exhaust liner. It still is burning with black soot. I've tried these settings also all at -5 flame height:
Hardwood, high elevation
Hardwood, normal elevation
Softwood, high elevation
Softwood, normal elevation
Sunflower, high elevation
Utility, normal elevation
Utility, high elevation
Maybe my stove just doesn't like softwood. I'm out of ideas and I'm thinking why am I having issues with one of the best pellets on the market. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

By exhaust liner, do you mean exhaust pipe? Do you have a outside air kit that may be plugged? How is your flame? You may want to try burning a bag of something else to see if it is indeed the pellets you are burning now. kap

Yeah I meant exhaust pipe. I have an AE insert, sorry should of made it clear. I'll have to check on the oak on the chimney. I have to find a different bag somewhere, seems like everyone around me is out of pellets for the season. Is there anyway to access the oak from the bottom like the quick connect on the exhaust pipe?

The douglas firs do the same to my stove too. They burn hot with minimal ash so I deal with the black glass.

We had the same issue here. That was the only thing I didn't like about the DF - otherwise they were awesome. We just decided to deal with it. Also had the same issue with the AWF Ultra Premium White Pine, but those also had tons of fines and ash so we don't think it's worth it to put up with the black glass for those.

I finally got up on the roof today after some snow melted off my roof to not make it dangerous. I went up to look at the oak and found the exhaust chimney cap clogged with soot. I cleaned it out and now it's running great. Thanks everyone for their suggestions.

Reactions: kappel15
Basically running at -5 flame height on a MV-AE you are limiting the air to the burn pot keeping the flame low. When you limit the air you’re limiting the ability of the fire to completely burn the fuel hence the black soot on the glass is unburned fuel. Most soot and ash should be some sort of whitish gray if the stove is burning properly.

Glad you found the culprit. Just remember it for next season. Stay warm. kap

Status
Not open for further replies.