MT Vernon Convection Blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nocar39

Nov 1, 2009
Western N.C.
If I run my Mt Vernon AE on heat out put 2 or higher for 20-30 minutes the convection blower stalls momentarily and the flame drops at the same time.When I cut the heat output back to 1 it stops. Any thoughts?

Go over to iburncorn.com and under the Quadrafire link post this question. There is a Quad tech there that goes by Kappel15 who will be able to answer your questions.

Smokey,
good question: prompted me to grab one from the shelf to see if it is thermally protected...

would have to assume thermally protected, as impedence is unlikely. so, if it gets too hot it "should" stop working until it cools down

very interesting blower, all plastic housing, blades and mounting, made by TORRINGTON
very smooth motor, give the blades a spin and it goes and goes

Wood Heat Stoves said:
Smokey,
good question: prompted me to grab one from the shelf to see if it is thermally protected...

would have to assume thermally protected, as impedence is unlikely. so, if it gets too hot it "should" stop working until it cools down

very interesting blower, all plastic housing, blades and mounting, made by TORRINGTON
very smooth motor, give the blades a spin and it goes and goes

If the blower stops working would it be possible in heat range 2 for the Quadrafire to also see its hi temp switch trip and is that switch manual or auto reset?

Wood Heat Stoves said:
230-1290 SNAP DISC, MANUAL RESET

manual

possible in heat range 2>>> ???

Ok then that rules out one path for the flame to be reduced at the same time the convection blower motor "stalls".

If the Quad had a auto reset hi temp snap disc and it could go over temperature when in heat range 2, then the hi temp going off would stop the auger, lowering the flame and starting the temperature down enough for the convection fan to restart and then the hi temp to reset, the auger to restart and the stove to return to what appears to be normal operation.

For the record I have never been able to get my stove to go over temperature in heat setting 1-, 1, or 1+, but at setting 2 or above when the convection fan thermaled off it does go hi temp and the auger stops, lowering the flame cooling the stove and then the convection fan restarts. At that point I can reset the hi temp and the stove resumes running. If my stove had an auto reset hi temp the stove would automagiclly resume normal operation.

That was the reason for my questions and a plausible explanation of what was happening to the OP.

Welcome to the forum nocar39 and one small question.

Do you have an OAK attached to your stove?

nocar39,
you need to increase your flame height the convection blower is cooling the stove of too quick so it is shutting off when it warms up it comes back on.

didn't completely understand the post before i replied can you get more information fuel setting flame height auto manual type of pellets

I have noticed on my Mt Vernon that when I switch from quiet and normal fan speeds for the convection blower that it effects the flame a little bit. On quiet the flame gets taller and lazier. My theory has been that on normal speed it pulls more heat off the baffle and burn area and possibly effecting the flame. Just a theory.

I subscribe to the following about flame height and the convection fan situation.

If the convection fan is close enough and in front of the air intake it can cause the flame to act like it isn't getting enough air (or even more air) because it can reduce the ability of the combustion blower to suck enough air through the system due to an effective back pressure being created ( if it is behind the intake it will help the combustion fan a bit ) . If there is an OAK and the system is sealed (not all intakes with OAK are) there would be no effect on the flame.

Status
Not open for further replies.