Mt Vernon Doesn't Hit Set Point

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jburkard

Jan 15, 2009
Bowdoinham, Maine
When I set my new Mt Vernon to automatic mode and the weather is cold, it won't get to the set point. For example, today's high is about 11F. The thermostat is set to 80F and the room is holding at 72F, the stove is running on medium. The closer the room temp gets to the set point, the further the stove dials back the feed rate. The only way it will ever hit the set point is if the outside temp is warm enough that it can reach the set point with a low feed rate. The stove doesn't have any problem heating my 1800 sqft, but automatic just sets the feed rate too low to get there. Any ideas?

The alternative is to set it to manual mode, high feed rate, and just let it hit the set point and shut down... But then I'd want to change the feed rate depending on the weather so it's not either constantly cycling on/off if the feed rate is too high, or letting the house get cold because I set the feed rate too low. I'd appreciate any feedback I can get on how people have set up their burn cycles.

Thank you!

I think the stove tends to run better in the manual setting if you want it to hit 80 you would most likely need to run it on manual high when it is 11 deg out

jburkard said:
When I set my new Mt Vernon to automatic mode and the weather is cold, it won't get to the set point. For example, today's high is about 11F. The thermostat is set to 80F and the room is holding at 72F, the stove is running on medium. The closer the room temp gets to the set point, the further the stove dials back the feed rate. The only way it will ever hit the set point is if the outside temp is warm enough that it can reach the set point with a low feed rate. The stove doesn't have any problem heating my 1800 sqft, but automatic just sets the feed rate too low to get there. Any ideas?

The alternative is to set it to manual mode, high feed rate, and just let it hit the set point and shut down... But then I'd want to change the feed rate depending on the weather so it's not either constantly cycling on/off if the feed rate is too high, or letting the house get cold because I set the feed rate too low. I'd appreciate any feedback I can get on how people have set up their burn cycles.

Thank you!

yes, I asked this same question in this thread: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/28871/

the unanimous opinion of many owners of this stove is that auto mode just doesn't work well. I agree.

Running on automatic seems to work when it isn't really cold outside. When winter really hits your better off running on manual.

I don't understand why you need to change the feed rate. Set the stove to manual high and adjust the flame height so that it is about 8 inches above the burn-pot. Once this is set you shouldn't have to change flame height for any other settings (unless you change pellet brands). All you need to do is play with the manual settings from 1 to 5.

I actually like the automatic setting. I'm heating about 2000 sqft. I like to keep the family room around 70. When it drops to these low temperatures, I bump the thermostat up to 72 knowing that the family room won't get over 70. I've yet to have it get cold enough where ML isn't more than enough heat to keep up. The advantage I see with automatic is I have a nice steady heat and the stove doesn't cycle on and off.

eric_s said:
I actually like the automatic setting. I'm heating about 2000 sqft. I like to keep the family room around 70. When it drops to these low temperatures, I bump the thermostat up to 72 knowing that the family room won't get over 70. I've yet to have it get cold enough where ML isn't more than enough heat to keep up. The advantage I see with automatic is I have a nice steady heat and the stove doesn't cycle on and off.
x2

eric_s said:

I agree...........

Last night I watched the DVD that came with the stove and it stated that if's it cold out to use the manual mode. I guess it depends on your definition of cold! They also suggest what kimeric is suggesting - when you don't reach the settemp.

Thanks everybody! Sounds like you're all finding what I did. I prefer automatic, so I'll probably leave it there most of the time and just adjust the temp as needed 2-3 times a day. That's not too big a burden. :) On a day like today, with highs in the teens, I'll probably set to 78 and get 70-72 or so.

I left the stove on manual high last night (-16) and that worked well too. The stove ran all night except for cleaning, but I don't think the temp dropped below 68 or so. And I slept well knowing I wasn't draining my oil tank. What a luxury!

It seems a little nutty to maintain such high temperatures at night. Whatever you are burning, you'll save $$$ setting back at night.

The problem with setting back too much at night is it becomes too tough to get to the morning temperature you have set. By the time it warms up, you're off to work.

Can't you get a programmable 'stat to come on a little earlier, enough to heat the room before you need it while still providing a setback?

Sounds to me like you guys need to modify your style to suit the weather. My Countryside has been unable to keep the house the way I like it much of the time this year and I often have to run it full bore just to keep up with 1400 SF. The problem is that I don't have the best pellets around and it just been that damned cold. The minute the sub zero breaks and its either snowing or the wind is howling. I haven't seen a winter like this in quite a while. So much for global warming, I want mine back.

Status
Not open for further replies.