Mt Vernon E2 pellet stove need tech help please, We're freezing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imfreezing

Dec 26, 2016
southwest
Hi forum,

Please help us, we're freezing!
I have a pleasant hearth ph50cabps pellet stove that uses the same control board as the quadrafire mt vernon E2.

I would like to use the mt vernon e2 control board to replace my dead ph50cabps board and need advice.
The ph50cabps never had a hard wired thermostat option and my reasoning is the mt vernon e2 board with a hard wired honeywell thermostat would be a much better board upgrade for my ph50cabps pellet stove.

AIthough the boards appear to be identical, I would guess the firmware would be different on the 2 boards, from what I see the ph50cabps uses a room temp probe but the mt vernon e2 uses a hard wired thermostat without a room temp probe. I also found a picture on the internet that shows the mt vernon e2 board has a red, orange and blue wire connected to the encoder press. header on the control board (next to the thermostat header). The ph50cabps does not have anything connected to the encoder press. header. What is the encoder press. header and what would i need to buy to get that part of the control board and wiring working?

If everything is doable I'd like to connect a honeywell hard wired thermostat to the 2 bottom wires of the mt vernon e2 boards ground and signal pins (is that correct?) and install it in my ph50cabps stove. What esle, other than the encoder press. wires and whatever it does do I need to complete the retrofit?

Almost forgot,
From what I've researched, both stoves use 2 rpm auger motors.

Please help, we're freezing

Jim

Last edited:
I looked, don't have your stove, couldn't contribute. Sometimes there are things that even those that don't own that stove can help with - this isn't one of them. Electrical is not my thing, nor most on this forum's thing. Then you add on that you are "guessing" several things about the parts on your stove, and parts that you have gotten (and "whatever it does"), I don't think anyone is going to touch that one. Sorry - you need to call a pro.

Firstly- I'm sure the software for the two stoves aren't compatible so I would only suggest using the MFR's parts for their particular stove, its just not a safe practice to intermix parts. I'd like to help, please use the correct part to fix her.

There is a Utube video on how to run a stove without a control board. kap

Reactions: stovelark
Thanks. I'm puter illiterate. lol kap

LOL Not my idea. Just throwing it out there for someone that is cold. Better one then trying to modify parts from one stove to another. kap

Thanks for the info on running a stove without a control board.
After much research I was able to build a multivibrator auger feed circuit.
The auger feed on and off time is adjustable with 2 potentiometers.
We're not freezing anymore.
For the unknown parts, they are the combustion blower and encoder wiring.
After much more research it seems that it is completely doable to swap out my control board and run with the quadrafire board.
I'll need the hall effect combustion blower and wire but that's not a problem.
Then I'll be able to add the quadrafire thermostat to my stove which is a feature I wish it had from the factory.
There is a timing paint mark on my current combustion blower and I'm wondering if other manufacturers used an optical sensor for the exhaust encoder rpm circuit.

For those wanting to use exact manufacturer replacements, you must understand that quite a few of these stove companies use identical parts. You're not stuck with buying parts from the company that made your stove. You just have to do some research. In my case it was much more research than I would rather have done but I learned quite a bit in the time spent.

Quadrafire, pelpro and pleasant hearth use many, many of the same parts. Price shop and you can save quite a bit of money.

I'll get it all sorted and post updates if I get the time.

It might just be doable to build my own hall effect circuit (the sensors are dirt cheap $1) by using a rare earth magnet and hall chip.
Not sure what the rpm specs of both stoves combustion motors are but I'll look into this. If someone has a quadrafire mt vernon e2 that would be willing to help with info on the combustion blower, please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.