Mt Vernon optical eye??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The AE's don't use a capacitor on the auger motors wiring and they will reverse the direction to clear jams. If there is a capacitor in the circuit it's in the control box. The optical sensor looks at the wheel on the auger and reports it's movement to the control box. Everything on the AE's are run by DC voltage except the igniter. I was having a similar issue with mine, intermittent auger jams. I removed the complete auger assembly dissembled and inspected it and really found nothing to cause the jamming issue. It jammed a few more times until I cleaned the gear box and replaced the lube grease. I also adjusted the optical sensor to wheel alignment, sensor was crooked probably caused by me messing with it. The auger ran for several weeks with no jams and was working great right up to when I replaced the complete auger assembly I ordered which includes the motor, auger spring, optical sensor and wheel. It has been running fine since and have a spare auger assembly.

Attachments

• Quadrafire 224 (Large).jpg
    Quadrafire 224 (Large).jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 800
I see something else that is different, the capacitors were in the wiring harness on some of the other Quad units.

So it is possible that the problem is just a misaligned subsystem and not anything wrong with the parts other than that. Lovely.

FordMastertech said:
The AE's don't use a capacitor on the auger motors wiring and they will reverse the direction to clear jams. If there is a capacitor in the circuit it's in the control box. The optical sensor looks at the wheel on the auger and reports it's movement to the control box. Everything on the AE's are run by DC voltage except the igniter. I was having a similar issue with mine, intermittent auger jams. I removed the complete auger assembly dissembled and inspected it and really found nothing to cause the jamming issue. It jammed a few more times until I cleaned the gear box and replaced the lube grease. I also adjusted the optical sensor to wheel alignment, sensor was crooked probably caused by me messing with it. The auger ran for several weeks with no jams and was working great right up to when I replaced the complete auger assembly I ordered which includes the motor, auger spring, optical sensor and wheel. It has been running fine since and have a spare auger assembly.

How much was that whole assembly?

Status
Not open for further replies.