Mt Vernon pellet usage - any ideas?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EarlyMan

Jun 7, 2011
Scarborough, Maine
Hi Gang -

We installed MT Vernon insert this June past. Our house is a 1900 sq. ft. cape built 10 years ago. It's well insulated and has good windows. I've been burning for about 2 weeks now. I have the stat set to 70 degrees. I am using about a bag a day (Green Teams now, Okies for the cold stuff). I have a feeling that I'll have to burn 2 bags a day when things get really cold (it was 28 degrees last night).

Could anyone with a Mt Vernon chime in and indicate their pellet usage? I started with 4 tons, now I'm wondering if that will be enough. :roll:

EarlyMan

My house is about 15 years old -- well built. I used 3 tons last year keeping the house around 70. I did use oil to heat the upstairs bedrooms keeping them around 65. Previous years I used about 2.5 tons. I'm considering a chimney OAK. I really think we use a lot of pellets to counteract the draftiness that I hope the OAK will resolve.

I have a 2000' old but well insulated colonial with a MT Vernon Insert. I use about 100 gallons of oil a year for the really, really cold mornings. We go through about 6 tons of pellets a season (2 bags/ day during the brunt of the season) with the following parameters:
1. my wife does not like it cold inside so we are not afraid to start burning as easrly as Sept.
2. Daytime is generally kept at 70-71 and nighttime at 66 degrees.
3. I burn on manual setting between 4-5 for most of the season. The exception being Sept/ Oct and late March through April when automatic does the job.

Take the number of gallons of oil you used and divide it by 120. That is how many tons of pellets you will burn to get the equivelent amount of heat.

I am heating 1500 sq. ft. bi level home at 72 degrees with only the Mt. Vernon AE and I only use 1 bag per day, about 4 tons per year.

When its really cold up here my Sante Fe will burn through about 12 bags a week .. So yeah if your trying to stay toasty..and Mt Vernon very well could use 2 bags a day..

I'm wondering what settings your using?

My setup isn't much different than yours, I average 3.5 tons/season.

Its gotta be subzero for me to come close to using 2 bags a day.

smoke show said:

Hi -

Right now I have it set to auto and I'm running it at 70 degrees. When it gets real cold, I'm planning on running it on manual and set it to medium. The room it's in has a 17' ceiling, but there's a ceiling fan that I run reversed on low all the time to push the heat down. Still, the upstairs is about 2 degrees warmer than the room the stove is in.

EarlyMan

estimated at 1 to 2 bags a day.

Eric

EarlyMan said:
smoke show said:

Hi -

Right now I have it set to auto and I'm running it at 70 degrees. When it gets real cold, I'm planning on running it on manual and set it to medium. The room it's in has a 17' ceiling, but there's a ceiling fan that I run reversed on low all the time to push the heat down. Still, the upstairs is about 2 degrees warmer than the room the stove is in.

EarlyMan

Well all my ceilings are standard 8' and my home only has a 30x32 footprint(2 story).

We run our first floor at 75 which keeps the second floor at 72.

180 bags is our average per season.

Wonder how much heat is trapped up in the tall ceiling even with fan running?

Status
Not open for further replies.