mt vernon pelltet stove not firing up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pelletpoor

Nov 29, 2008
upstate new york
My Mt. Vernon stove is acting odd. The pellets drop and ignite, but the flame fails to reach its normal height and I'm not hearing the louder fan which kicks on when ignition has been reached. Could this be a bad convection blower? A fan does come on when I first start the stove but is this just the exhaust fan?

The exhaust fan always comes on first, and then after the stove gets up to temp ( I think it's about 120 degrees, a thermal switch turns on the convection blower.

After the fire runs for a few minutes, do you feel any hot air coming out the front at all?

Very little, also while the fire is burning larger than usual sparks were coming out of the fire pot. After a few minutes like this (maybe 10) the stove just shut down.

Are you getting any error messages on your wall control?

No, I don't an AE. But, I did figure out the problem. The fire pot door was held open slightly by a clinker. Most of the pellets fell into the ash pan, but a few stayed in the pot to smolder. Th.is explains why the convection blower didn't turn on. Thanks for the posts.

Glad you got it figured out. We have snow coming tomorrow....your going to need the stove!

Status
Not open for further replies.