MT Vernon (pre-AE) Firepot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
Has anyone come across a repair kit to re-mount the ignitor holder back onto the fire pot when it comes off?
A new one is super expensive. I know it must be hard to weld steel to cast iron too.
Wondering if maybe I could drill and tap a couple of bolt holes for it?

Ideas?

Yes it can be welded.Mig or stick,Will look like crap,but is a non stress item.Welding shop will prob. want an arm and leg,just clean,wire brush take to local muffler shop.Being non stress or non critical,looks should not matter.

Hi all,
Has anyone come across a repair kit to re-mount the ignitor holder back onto the fire pot when it comes off?
A new one is super expensive. I know it must be hard to weld steel to cast iron too.
Wondering if maybe I could drill and tap a couple of bolt holes for it?

Ideas?
I'm not real familiar with that pot but what you describe sounds in line with what I would be doing if the there is no structural damage to the pieces. Maybe a couple of machine screws, drill and tap. That's about it, put it together !
Yes it can be welded.Mig or stick,Will look like crap,but is a non stress item.Welding shop will prob. want an arm and leg,just clean,wire brush take to local muffler shop.Being non stress or non critical,looks should not matter.
When I used to weld cast and steel we used a special cast rod that contained a bunch of nickle in it. Pre heat the cast with a torch. Nice rod, I want to say we bought it from Chronitron. In a pinch you can use stainless wire in a mig machine too for small items.. Today's flux core machines I have no clue about though !

I'm not real familiar with that pot but what you describe sounds in line with what I would be doing if the there is no structural damage to the pieces. Maybe a couple of machine screws, drill and tap. That's about it, put it together !

When I used to weld cast and steel we used a special cast rod that contained a bunch of nickle in it. Pre heat the cast with a torch. Nice rod, I want to say we bought it from Chronitron. In a pinch you can use stainless wire in a mig machine too for small items.. Today's flux core machines I have no clue about though !
Just a mechanic,but have welded steel to replace broke out water jackets in cast engine blocks,3 step process,but also mig(soft steel wire)welded many cracks i exhaust manifolds,looks terrible,lasts many years,also welded the shields back to manifolds,steel to cast,you are just looking for a lump of molten mixed metal.Not the right way,but works.Last summer welded ear back on tractor exhaust manifold,holds muffler,tried the new rods they have(very expensive)welded awsome!Tecnology is great(sometimes).

Just a mechanic,but have welded steel to replace broke out water jackets in cast engine blocks,3 step process,but also mig(soft steel wire)welded many cracks i exhaust manifolds,looks terrible,lasts many years,also welded the shields back to manifolds,steel to cast,you are just looking for a lump of molten mixed metal.Not the right way,but works.Last summer welded ear back on tractor exhaust manifold,holds muffler,tried the new rods they have(very expensive)welded awsome!Tecnology is great(sometimes).
Fleet mechanic here but years ago we did a lot of welding of mostly aluminum and steel and some cast as well. Fleet mechanic in a large beverage company. Far too long now, I can't believe when the severance packages to leave came out last year I wasn't included, you would think that with over 43 years with them they would have had it by now, I know I have !!! And not many leave without that severance pay. The under side of tractor trailers doesn't look so homey any longer. Not only that but these days I'm a team of one, me. Used to be three of us. I'm much older now and so is the fleet, bad combo for everyone. Not to complain mind you, it's made a real living and raise 5 kids( his hers and ours). I'm just burnt out.

Thanks everyone!

I have a friend who is a welder. I will pull it out and take it to him. Problem is I hate to shut it down while we are having such cold weather in Michigan. I manually lit it, turned the thermostat up to 86 and the stove to it's lowest setting.
It has been keeping the basement up to around 82 this way. It is so cold that this is working. The sun came out one day last week and the stove reached temp and shut down-had to re-light at night.
The thing I don 't like is that I actually use a few more pellets this way. When the ignitor is able to work, I set my thermostat at 80-82 and the stove on high, and only use 2 bags every 24 hours. I might be using 3 bags in 24 hours right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.