Mt. Vernon problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Delaware

Jan 16, 2012
Delaware
Hi - I'm new to the forum and excited to have a source of information and help. I have two Quadrafire pellet inserts and while they have not been without issues overall I'm satisfied. I have a Mt. Vernon AE and a Santa Fe. My current issue is with my Mt. Vernon. I'll set the thermostat at 75 degrees and it will consistently shutdown at 68 degrees. Is there a setting that I'm missing. The "Temperature Differential" and "Temperature Calibration" seem like they me help but I don't see any information in the manual for these. Any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like the stove is in the program mode. If you look on your thermostat in the top right corner and it says (set at) its in program mode. Push either button on the right then go down and select hold temp that should take care of your problem. It should now read (hold at).

All program settings are factory set for 68. It will revert too that if in program mode unless you program it differently. Hope that helps!

I have programmed it for various temperatures throughout the day [none of which are 68]. More often than not it will shutdown at 6-7 degrees lower than the setting. I've had the insert for a couple of years and I'm pretty familiar with it. One setting that I don't understand is the "Temperature Diff". Can anyone explain?

If you set it at a 2 degree swing then the stove comes on at 2 degrees lower then your set temp.

There's a lot of questions i would ask you of why it's shutting down. If you would like you can call the shop at Don's Stove Shop(.com) and I'm sure I could help you!

I hope our conversation helps you out. You have a great stove and if it is set right you should be very happy with it. Call anytime if you have any questions.

Thanks for taking the time to talk with me. I made some adjustments as a result of talking with you and the stove is running great!

Please divulge your findings to possibly help other peeps in the future.

We're here to share.

By running the Mt Vernon in the (auto setting) in a cold climate the stove has a hard time heating the space. Not only will it kick down before satisfying the thermostat but will will burn a lot dirtier. In the manual setting (on high) the stove will throw the maximum amount of heat to satisfy the space and burn a lot cleaner. Pellets have a lot to do with a pellet stove heating the desired space. Some of the best pellets around are Canadian Softwood. At least around here! Hope that helps some of you out there.

Agreed, all I burn is canadian softwoods.

I run my stove on auto, it rarely comes of low.

So there really wasn't a problem?

Answering a question about a problem to a pellet stove or not getting to temperature is not always as easy as two or three sentences. There are a lot of questions to ask? Where is the stove located? Where was the thermostat install and in what location to the stove? What size area is it trying to heat? Is the house well insulated or not? Does it have cathedral ceilings? Is the stove installed in a room that shares a stairway to up stairs? Is it on the North or South side of the house? Is it in the middle of the house and what is it facing? What's behind the stove for rooms? Do they turn the stove way down at night and wonder why it takes so long to heat everything in the house back to temperature? Then of coarse what kind of PELLETS!!! This is just the beginning for someone that sells, installs and takes care of hundreds of these stove and actually cares! Running your stove on auto obviously works for you (AND THAT'S GREAT) but I don't recommend it to my people. It just seems too burn a lot dirtier thats all. Hope that answers the question. Have a great night!!!!

Mt V Heat,

I hope you didn't take my statements and questions the wrong way.

Your advice seems spot on, hope you stick around.

Thanks for the clarification.

I took my stove off AUTO in response to this thread. I seem to be getting more even heat distribution by running my stove on medium in manual mode.

X2 on appreciating Mt. Vernon Heat's expertise.

In my house my stove would be short cycling if I ran anything above low.

Thats why I use auto. 1000sq ft x2 floors, 2000 total, central staircase and no tall ceilings or humongous windows.

Proof that each situation is different.

The one thing I have going for me is the house has 7' ceilings on the lower levels and 7'6" on the upper level where the bedrooms are. Makes it easier to heat/cool...

Latest experimentation has me running the air handlers on both of my heat pumps. I was only running the upstairs air handler from time to time and found it didn't do much. Downstairs was always warm without me running that air handler. However, I have found more heat going upstairs now when I run the downstairs air handler.

Status
Not open for further replies.