Mt Vernon Quadra Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cortcol

Hi all,
Thanks for letting me ask questions here. We have a Mt Vernon pellet free standing stove for 8 years. My husband faithfully fully cleans the stove twice a week. Lately our stove keeps getting the max drop tube temp error.
Then it shuts down.
We have tried different setting such as manual and automatic.
we have raised the temp and lowered the temp.
Second issue is it never get further than two degrees lower than what we set it at.

flame height is at -5, heat output is at 4
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Is the convection fan running when this happens? This is the fan that blows the hot air into the room. When was the last time it was cleaned?If it is not putting enough air out, the stove could be overheating. How high is your flame when running? Are you on the correct fuel setting for the fuel you are burning? And some times where the droptube thermo hooks on the drop tube, can get a little rusty and interfere with the signal. A little sanding might help. Last thing is it could be a bad drop tube thermocouple. On second issue, sounds like you need to recalibrate your temps on wall control. It tells you how to do that in the wall control manual. Stay in touch. kap

Is the convection fan running when this happens? This is the fan that blows the hot air into the room. When was the last time it was cleaned?If it is not putting enough air out, the stove could be overheating. How high is your flame when running? Are you on the correct fuel setting for the fuel you are burning? And some times where the droptube thermo hooks on the drop tube, can get a little rusty and interfere with the signal. A little sanding might help. Last thing is it could be a bad drop tube thermocouple. On second issue, sounds like you need to recalibrate your temps on wall control. It tells you how to do that in the wall control manual. Stay in touch. kap

HI
Thanks for responding
Yes the fan is on when it trips
It was cleaned thoroughly just three days ago
Our flame is high but it is set at -5 we can't set it any lower
we are using the correct fuel setting.
When you talk about where the drop tube thermo hooks to the drop tube are you referring to the wingnut that attaches to the wire? We are not sure wht area you are referring to.
I will check the calibration on the wall control.
Thanks again!

Yes. The wing nut holds the drop tube thermocouple to the drop tube. .What are you burning, and what fuel setting are you on?

Have you tried the utility pellet setting to see if there is more flame control? Is the convection fan on normal or quiet setting?

Have you tried the utility pellet setting to see if there is more flame control? Is the convection fan on normal or quiet setting?
Hi, we changed the setting to utility on saturday and it ran fine until this morning when it started to get max drop tube yem error again. It did it three times today. Convection is on quiet

Try putting fan on normal. If it still trips, it might be time for a new dt thermocouple. Did you try sanding any rust off where it screws to droptube, if there is any rust? kap

How high is the flame? No problem. Glad to help. kap

Mine can go all the up the baffle also, but not all the time. If it is not terribly high, I don't think it is the flame.

Hi all,
Thanks for letting me ask questions here. We have a Mt Vernon pellet free standing stove for 8 years. My husband faithfully fully cleans the stove twice a week. Lately our stove keeps getting the max drop tube temp error.
Then it shuts down.
We have tried different setting such as manual and automatic.
we have raised the temp and lowered the temp.
Second issue is it never get further than two degrees lower than what we set it at.

flame height is at -5, heat output is at 4
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Had the same issue after 5 years. It ended up being the thermocoupler, once the insulation frays away from the end and gets shorter I started getting the max drop tube temp error. I didn't try ... but see if you can move the insulation down a little by sliding it. If not once I replace it the error went away.
Let us know ........................

Reactions: kappel15
Had the same issue after 5 years. It ended up being the thermocoupler, once the insulation frays away from the end and gets shorter I started getting the max drop tube temp error. I didn't try ... but see if you can move the insulation down a little by sliding it. If not once I replace it the error went away.
Let us know ........................

We will try. There was very little rust by the way. Now we are getting min pot temp. completely making us crazy Also my husband says there is a wire in the ceramic housing is that supposed to be loose? He says you can pull it in and out.

No. It is suppose to be touching the inside end of the cover to work properly. kap

Correct. Pressure is suppose to hold it in place since the wire is so stiff. And the clamp holds the ceramic cover. kap

Status
Not open for further replies.