Mt. Vernon Quadrafire - Missed Ignition

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

Jan 2, 2009
Wyoming
We have a 14 month old Mt. Vernon Quadrafire. For the last few days we are getting the error message- Missed Ignition. During the start up phase it drops pellets but it does not ignite. Any suggestions? Is there part of the cleaning process that we might be missing that could be causing a problem? Just want to check all possiblities before attempting to replace ignitor.

ck the ign, just let it cycle and see if element gets hot. There were some probs with those ign systems, at 14 months your right on the line of could or could not still have faulty design. Easy fix if its not right

Thanks for the reply, where is the element that heats up located? The manual that I received with the stove is not that informative, is it in the bottom of the firepot? Thanks....

pull the ash pan and it will be right in front of the pot, looks like an elec element from a kitchen stove. Be careful gets red hot when working

You should be able to see it glow during startup with the door closed. Look along the bottom of the glass window.

If the ignitor is glowing then also check the front of the firepot at the bottom. There is a slot right in front of the ignitor, if that's plugged up the air/heat cannot flow through and ignite the pellets.

Got a missed ignition error signal two days ago and would not fire up.

Just replaced the element on my own (dealer suggested it was easy self service job.) Took about 15 minutes to replace the unit. Luckily the thumb screw wasn't factory tight as it had been replaced during initial install 2 years ago.

No tools required although I did use a mirror to see where the wires were routed. The key is hook the two wires up so they clear the actuator for the self cleaning mechanism.

Mine runs 24/7 from mid Oct thru mid April and I got two seasons out of it. Dealer confirmed that this is normal life expectancy.

I'd love to find an independent supply for these heating elements. Dealer cost is $80.00 . Looks to me like it could be had for a lot less if you knew the exact part number to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.