Mt.Vernon QuadraFire: Where to put it!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Secret_Sam

Jul 2, 2008
Central Maine
I'm seriously considering getting the Mt.Vernon Quadrafire. My issue is placement of this stove. I live in a 1600 sf split level home, The bedrooms, kitchen, bathroom and living room are all located upstairs. Downstairs i have another living room with a average size wood stove in it. If I place the the Mt.Vernon upstairs in the living room I feel like its heating capacity will be wasted because it can heat so much more living space. On the other hand If I place it downstairs where the wood stove is now I am afraid It wont heat the upstairs properly where i spend most of my time. Vents and blowers are an option if I place it downstairs since i have a drop ceiling. Ideally I would like it placed downstairs if I thought it would heat my entire house evenly. placing it upsatirs in the living room would be fine because it just looks so good, but a stove with this heating capacity i feel should be heating a much larger area than 800 sf, your thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Michael

I'd say upstairs since you have a stove downstairs that can be used. You may want to consider a smaller stove like the Castile. The Mt vernon may be to much for just upstairs. Paying 5K to heat half the house may not be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.