Mt. Vernon quality??????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevekng

Feeling the Heat
Oct 21, 2007
Central Maine
I just talked with my Quad dealer and he said he won't be selling any more pellet stoves because of the problems he's been having with all of the Mt. Vernons he sold last year. He is having to give multiple repairs for the same issues and the stoves still don't work or the baffles keep cracking. He completely rebuilt one and it still rumbles so much the paint is falling off the owner's wall. Quad won't replace the stove.I don't have a Mt. Vernon but I will lose my only Quad dealer for 50 miles

Well that certainly doesn't sound good. My Mt Vernon was built in 2007 and really haven't had any issues that I can complain about yet(thankfully). If I ever were to buy another stove I don't believe it would be a Quad. My main reason for my purchase was because we have a Home and Hearth here and it's one of their top selling stoves. I dealt with a very good salesman evidentially. As far as even questioning anything about this stove when I've called the dealer you either don't get a reliable reply like you do here or they have to call Quadrafire to find out what to do...then of course if you need a service tech to come out then here comes the $$$. Maybe last year with the stove shortage Quad started doing lax work to get the product out. Who knows but I'm warm and I can't complain....yet

Stevekng,

Can you PM which dealer? I hope it's not mine :-(

Thanks!

We bought our AE Mt Vernon last year. So far I have burned over 5 tons without any issues. Don't want this to turn into a promo for Quadra-fire, but the stove does a great job and has meet our expectations. Our dealer was very knowledgeable and even provided some helpful advise on our self-install. Time will tell how well the factory supports warranty issues should they occur.

Stevekng I'd be interested to know which dealer you are talking about myself.

My dealer spoke highly of this stove, and noted that he has one in his home. The tech that installed it also said he has one in his home. I know the dealer outside of his stove shop as well, and while I haven't been to his home myself I have no reason to believe he was blowing smoke up my arse. Interesting to hear a drastically different experience from your dealer, I too would be curious to know who it is.

No name, just the town.

QuadraBurner-

Don and Shane have had nothing but good things to say about their Mt. Vernon AE's. I had a baffle crack last year and they ordered me a new one and came and installed it (seemed silly, but they wanted to check things out). I was dreading that it was Don's but that just doesn't make sense. My fingers are crossed!

maineheat said:
QuadraBurner-

Don and Shane have had nothing but good things to say about their Mt. Vernon AE's. I had a baffle crack last year and they ordered me a new one and came and installed it (seemed silly, but they wanted to check things out). I was dreading that it was Don's but that just doesn't make sense. My fingers are crossed!

Agreed, I'd be very surprised if it was Don's shop.

cracking baffles and rumbling are known problems.
I've read about both and there is some sort of deflector to add to the ash pan area
to reduce rumbling. and the baffle just gets replaced.

Stevekng said:
I just talked with my Quad dealer and he said he won't be selling any more pellet stoves because of the problems he's been having with all of the Mt. Vernons he sold last year. He is having to give multiple repairs for the same issues and the stoves still don't work or the baffles keep cracking. He completely rebuilt one and it still rumbles so much the paint is falling off the owner's wall. Quad won't replace the stove.I don't have a Mt. Vernon but I will lose my only Quad dealer for 50 miles

Could be the dealer didn't pay his bill and Quad said see ya. And yanked the line out of there.

They don't always give the straight scoop, I always try to listen to both sides of the story. And I haven't heard any quality issues about the quads.

just my 2

Let me start out by saying that I could have been the poster child for what could ever possibly go wrong with the Mt. Vernon AE. If something was going to go wrong, it went wrong with mine. I really think that this stove was initially rushed to market a bit to soon and was really never fully tested. I could go on and on with what transpired the first year of ownership but what I really remember most was the fact that I was taken care of every step of the way by not only my dealer (Courtland Hearth and Hardware) but by the Quad rep as well.
It finally got to the point that after one year my dealer actually pulled the stove and replaced it with a newer model. I really hate to hear the horror stories that people have with their dealers and I think dealers need to be up on all the issues with these stoves and understand the inner workings of each. All to often the only thing a dealer wants to do is sell you a product. They really don't want to be bothered with the service. When someone asks what stove to buy I always tell them, make certain which ever stove you buy that you purchase it through a reputable dealer. I have noticed a drastic reduction in the complaint department as far as the Mount Vernon AE is concerned, not only on this forum but other forums as well. I don't believe that there are any quality issues with the latest Mt. Vernon AE and would suggest to anyone that asked to go ahead and purchase this stove!

My cracked baffle was only a hairline in the cross piece up towards the opening. I guess some were in pieces down by the diamond and not runnable. No complaints with my MT. Vernon AE. I think if you keep on top of cleaning the stove it just cranks out the heat. I have gotten in the habit of putting never seize on the ash dump rails to reduce the noise. All around I'm a happy camper with the stove and my dealer.

Jtakeman - by the way, in a one fly contest, a muddler minnow would out fish the wooly bugger any day :)

I don't think it's a good idea for me to spread the name of the dealer around. Rumors have a way of being generated with a situation like this. If someone wants to see which dealers of the Quad line are in central Maine from their website, it would be pretty easy to get an idea.

He did say hat people were most upset about the amount of cleaning that had to be don on pellet stoves. That seems like a pre-sales issue that should have been discussed prior to the purchase. Ther might have been less sales but the satisfaction level might have been more.

Sounds to me like the dealer decided to jump on the bandwagon when pellet stoves were selling like hot cackes. Now he is thinking.... man this is a lot of work to fix all these things, and train the customers on how to use them, so maybe I should stop selling them and save myself the headache.

No problems with mine of any kind after 3 tons - 80lbs so far. Mine was built in late '08, installed in January '09.

There were a lot of problems with the MT Vernon when first introduced because it was rushed to market before the bugs had been worked out. Quadra Fire, to their credit, stopped production until issues were sorted out. I believe this is now a very good stove. If there are still widespread problems we would all hear about it. Word travels fast! LOL

QuadraFire is making a different style pot for burning corn and also some changes with the ignitor situation. If you burn pellets you can get a different igniter versus burning corn.
I bought one of the first AEs that came out and experienced most of the problems that everyone else had. After the last board and wall control update and a couple of baffle boards it turned ito a pretty decent stove. I had that little piece of tin added in back of the ash drawer and that stopped the roaring sound. Also they did the igniter modification and the last I heard the new owner had great luck with no problems all last winter. He only burns pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.