Mt Vernon question auto clean feature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mhhamm

Dec 16, 2009
Utah
What issues does everyone have with the auto cycle cleaning feature. I seems to me that it would cause problems with smoke, ignitors, and reliabilty. I am going to buy a stove this spring hopefully for a discount, and I am looking at a Mt Vernon or a Harmon p68. What are everones thoughts I like how quiet the Mt Vernon is, but the auto clean feature is a real hangup for me. The heat output from the P68 is awsome.

parents in law have the Mt Vernon, I have a Harman XXV. I'm really jealous of how quite their stove is, but they have had no issues with the autoclean feature. It makes cleaning easier and you dont have to deal with scraping the burnpot. Hey, if they can put a man on the moon, I believe they can make a stove with autoclean. Good luck with your purchase, both are great stoves!

two seasons, no problems.
very quiet.
no daily burnpot maintainence.
ignitors are the weak link amongst all makes.
biomass capabilities is a must IMHO.
good luck.

You should do a search on this site and on iburncorn.net, or may be .com. Look under each stove manufacturer for some good info. There is a lot of info on the Mt. Vernon on the iburncorn site. Your really looking at 2 entirely different looking stoves. with one being a cast stove and the other a sheet metal stamping. Each stove has its pluses and minuses so make sure you are comfortable with what your getting into.

Bkins

I've had ignitor problems this season. See ignitor thread.

I have MT Vernon insert and have had no issues. Two seasons old and it is great. Cranks out the heat, minimal maintenanced needed in part due to the autoclean cycle

The AE has had igniter problems since it was introduced. There has been several changes and improvements but igniters just haven't lasted as long as they should on this stove. Part of the problem is the stove has to dump the pot and relight several times a day. It does have several good features but there is to much dependance on the control panel and wall control. Also if you burn corn and are running it hard you will have to empty the ash pan twice a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.