mt. vernon shutting down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mc67

Hello everyone,I had a mt. Vernon installed two weeks ago and seemed to be running fine(other than getting a smell of smoke when shutting down).Last night it was fairly windy here and the stove kept shutting down before reaching set temperature.It would flash vacuum switch error,spew out what I would call a large amount of smoke,shut down auto clean then re-start.It did this a few times.I’m guessing the exhaust vent might have to be modified.It comes out of stove into a clean out-t out the wall,up about 4’ than has a slight downturn.
This morning(not nearly as windy)the stove is working fine again.Any information to help diagnose would be appreciated.Great site-been on it since decided to go with a pellet stove.
I spoke to soon-stove flashing vacuum switch error.shutting down and auto cleaning???

I had the same problem, you need to call your dealer.

Here is what the problem is as told to me from my dealer:

Your installation ( not really the stove ) and a couple others just like yours have directed us to the root of the evil. We have determined on short, mostly horizontal pipe configurations that the " REV B " program and the vacuum switch are not compatible.

And yes, wind is a factor!

Check to see if you have the Rev. B board (my guess is that you do).

Your dealer needs to install the latest board and change out your vacuum switch.

I have not had a problem since this was taken care of last February.

Good, sounds like you have a decent dealer. Let me know how it worked out.

I think it is safe to post an update to my mt. vernon shutting down. The dealer was here and the stove checked out ok, but the venting had to be extended to create a better draft. Originally their was a 4' vertical with a downturn going up the outside wall.The problem was a solid wall from my outside deck was causing a swirling effect of air (poor to no draft in certain winds).The solution was to extend the venting through the eave with a cap on it.Night and day is the best way to describe the difference.It has been working great since,haven't smelled smoke and puts out the heat. Two nights ago it was -4c with wind--just sat inside and admired the fire. Hope this helps if anybody is experincing the same.

Glad to hear you got everything straightened out. Enjoy the stove!

Status
Not open for further replies.