Mt. Vernon Sounds like a Fog Horn...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LJ4174

Jul 26, 2008
South Eastern PA
...anyone else have this???

Every so often it will make this loud low tone. Kinda like blowing on the top of a bottle, but only a lot deeper and a lot louder. It could also be described as a vibration sound I guess, but it seems to be getting worse lately...

Anyone else? Thoughts...

Thanks...

Could it be auger noise? I get that from some pellets. Quite loud and worrysome at first.

I dunno, but was thinking that might be the case... Just wanted to see what everyone else thought... It was just very loud and thought, that's it, I'm asking the question... I have my pipe vented up, so I thought maybe it was wind blowing over it like my bottle description... (shrug)

I have a Castile insert, and every so often it makes a loud vibration sound, almost sounded like it was growling so I sat next to it and waited until it was making that noise, and it appears that on mine when the stove gets hotter, and at certain RPM's it gets a vibration, because I had my hand on it and I could feel the vibration happening, and the noise appeared to be the top baffle plate rattling a little, so as it was making this noise I took the door handle and was going to open it briefly and I noticed that as soon as I just lifted the door handle a little bit the noise stopped. So I took a small piece of aluminum foil, folded it and turned the insert off, and when it was cool enough I opened the door, and I pushed up the top baffle slighly and I tucked this small piece of foil where the top baffle plate rests against the unit in the front by the door. This seems to have cured the growling sound, but I'll be asking my installer to get a new blower assembly that doesnt vibrate and install it because Im still in the warranty. I believe that the top baffle plate is slightly warping as the stove heats up and that slight uneven condition causes it to rattle when the blower gets the vibration.

I believe that as the unit get hotter the blower cage must expand slightly and its out of balance, and it takes that certain RPM point to make it vibrate, and when it does the baffle rattles. On mine it seems like it only growled at certain motor speeds, the blower speed varies by a few rpm with the AC line voltage, and its my opinion that it hits that certain spot every so often and vibration occurs.

check to see if your top baffle plate is seated snugly.

I have a Mt Vernon and occassionally when the combustion blower speeds up I get a low frequency noise. Read some where once that if the baffle plate is not aligned perfectly the airflow across it can cause a vibration. Makes sense to me since it is only occassional for me and the baffle comes out for cleaning quite often. Might want to make sure the baffle and clips are good, tight and aligned properly.

Nicholas440 said:
I have a Castile insert, and every so often it makes a loud vibration sound, almost sounded like it was growling so I sat next to it and waited until it was making that noise, and it appears that on mine when the stove gets hotter, and at certain RPM's it gets a vibration, because I had my hand on it and I could feel the vibration happening, and the noise appeared to be the top baffle plate rattling a little, so as it was making this noise I took the door handle and was going to open it briefly and I noticed that as soon as I just lifted the door handle a little bit the noise stopped. So I took a small piece of aluminum foil, folded it and turned the insert off, and when it was cool enough I opened the door, and I pushed up the top baffle slighly and I tucked this small piece of foil where the top baffle plate rests against the unit in the front by the door. This seems to have cured the growling sound, but I'll be asking my installer to get a new blower assembly that doesnt vibrate and install it because Im still in the warranty. I believe that the top baffle plate is slightly warping as the stove heats up and that slight uneven condition causes it to rattle when the blower gets the vibration.

I believe that as the unit get hotter the blower cage must expand slightly and its out of balance, and it takes that certain RPM point to make it vibrate, and when it does the baffle rattles. On mine it seems like it only growled at certain motor speeds, the blower speed varies by a few rpm with the AC line voltage, and its my opinion that it hits that certain spot every so often and vibration occurs. check to see if your top baffle plate is seated snugly.

Hmmmm... Yeah, I did the same thing last night... It was real loud so I quick jumped up to see if I could "feel the vibration" but missed it...

eric_s said:
I have a Mt Vernon and occassionally when the combustion blower speeds up I get a low frequency noise. Read some where once that if the baffle plate is not aligned perfectly the airflow across it can cause a vibration. Makes sense to me since it is only occassional for me and the baffle comes out for cleaning quite often. Might want to make sure the baffle and clips are good, tight and aligned properly.

I will check the plate. I do remove it once a week or every other week to clean it and all, but as far as the know the clips are installed tight and this happened even the first week I was burning it...

Hmmmm...

Thanks for all the info...

Make sure the ash tray is tightly sealed and top lid. Mine will make that noise if the burn pot chamber is not sealed with air flow.

-G

NoMoreOPEC said:
Make sure the ash tray is tightly sealed and top lid. Mine will make that noise if the burn pot chamber is not sealed with air flow.

-G

I'm pretty sure it is, but I will double check... Thanks...

It is fairly easy to tell if it is vibration from the convection blower. When you notice the noise remove the left panel as you are facing the stove. You can reach in and touch the casing of the convection blower. I had this problem and by moving the blower around I could get the noise to stop. It was not long before I had the blower replaced, the noise just got worse!

JoeS said:
It is fairly easy to tell if it is vibration from the convection blower. When you notice the noise remove the left panel as you are facing the stove. You can reach in and touch the casing of the convection blower. I had this problem and by moving the blower around I could get the noise to stop. It was not long before I had the blower replaced, the noise just got worse!

Cool, will try that too and it does seem to be getting worst. I've only been burning the stove since the week before Thanksgiving. Last night it was so loud you couldn't hear the TV.

Thanks...

what fuel setting are you running on? try lowering your flame height the other thing you may want to try is cleaning out behind the ash pan. it is normally from air to fuel mix that is not right.

stoveguy13 said:
what fuel setting are you running on? try lowering your flame height the other thing you may want to try is cleaning out behind the ash pan. it is normally from air to fuel mix that is not right.

Uh... fuel setting is hardwood pellets (which is what I'm burning)

I'll clean behing the ash pan this weekend, but I thought you were to never adjust the flame height? And, just curious, why would this matter?

set the flame height to -3 it will make it go away most of the time on hard wood setting. the air comming threw the unit and the amount of pellets in the pot are what are causing the the sound. you will need to adjust your flame height depending what kind of pellets you are burning the flame height is there to give you some control over he stove the flame on manual high shopuld be hitting the diamond on the back plate.

I also get this with Hardwood Pellets, on the Hardwood setting, with a flame height of -4. I don't have an OAK and my house is pretty tight so I'm wondering if that has something to do with it. My venting is pretty much straight out without a rise. At first I thought it had to do with the alignment of the baffle but that doesn't seem to cure it. It hasn't happened enough to drive me crazy yet....

LJ4174 said:
JoeS said:

Cool, will try that too and it does seem to be getting worst. I've only been burning the stove since the week before Thanksgiving. Last night it was so loud you couldn't hear the TV.

Thanks...

Did you try doing this?

JoeS said:
LJ4174 said:
JoeS said:

Thanks...

Did you try doing this?

No, haven't tried this as of yet. I will though, even though getting to that panel is going to be a pain for me...

LJ4174 said:
JoeS said:
LJ4174 said:
JoeS said:

Thanks...

Did you try doing this?

No, haven't tried this as of yet. I will though, even though getting to that panel is going to be a pain for me...

You can get to the convection blower from either side!

You can get to the convection blower from either side!

Yeah, my issue is, it's set back into the hearth and not a lot of room on either side... :\

Status
Not open for further replies.