MT Vernon Table Updates

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LMPS

Feeling the Heat
Dec 12, 2010
Coastal, Maine
Hi All MT. Vernon AE Owners,
I wanted to pass this along. I had my local tech out as I had another igniter go on me (I think this make number three in three years). At any rate while he was here he
plugged his computer in to the thermostat to review the error message. While doing this he noticed that the fuel tables (the tables tell the stove how long to run before auto cleaning, etc for the different types of fuel) had not been updated to the newest ones. This was strange because both he and I recalled him doing it last spring when he came to do the end of the year service (sad day). Any ways he updated them again and I really like the new tables, I am burning in softwood and getting some really long runs, before the dreaded autoclean happens. So...as they say the rest of the story is......he emailed later and told me the reason that the tables were not there after he had updated them in the spring is that anytime you change your elevation, which I had done to see if I could get a cleaner burn, it reverts the tables but the original tables and gets ride of the updated tables. No idea why it does this but thought I would pass this along.
LMWP

LMPS said:
he emailed later and told me the reason that the tables were not there after he had updated them in the spring is that anytime you change your elevation, which I had done to see if I could get a cleaner burn, it reverts the tables but the original tables and gets ride of the updated tables.

kinda sounds like bs to me.

what good is it to update if you can't change your settings?

I thought it was bs also at first but the stove does burn different the run times between autocleans is much longer with the updated fuel tables so I think this another case of clitches with the software.

So if you changed your elevation right now you would lose the updates?

Yes, that is correct.

Yes, that is correct.

Or should I say that is what I have been told. I do trust the tech I have. He was told this by a service tech from Quad so at least on face value seems true.
Again, its the updated fuel tables that are lost.

As an IT guy, I am sitting here scratching my head hoping that it's not true.

I purchased the stove in 06-07. Not sure if this is just the case with older stoves and not the new ones, maybe Smoke Show can find out, as I did not ask that question.

Contacted a Quad tech from another forum and he verified thats correct.

I've never had my tables updated and never will now, cause I change my settings at times.

Thanks LMPS for the info and I apologize for second guessing your info.

smoke show said:
John97 said:
As an IT guy, I am sitting here scratching my head hoping that it's not true.

Thats retarded ain't it John?

Must refrain from uttering a stream of profanities...

I fix cars for a living at a new car dealership.

We have the capacity to reflash the calibration on most on board modules.

The last thing the manufacturer would want is to have the updated calibration revert back to the old one.

The reason for updates is to correct problems.

When you change the elevation setting to high, it tells you right on the screen that it will cancel any new tables that were entered in it and it actually makes you press yes to agree with that before you can change the elevation setting.

What's the matter John, after all, this isn't the first time things go bump in the programming world.

Thats just crazy if true. Sometimes I have to change the elevation back and forth to get my fan speed to kick out of the quite mode. I've had to do this for the last three seasons at least. I told my dealer and he said it was no big deal.

BIH

This is pure insanity.

SmokeyTheBear said:
John97 said:
This is pure insanity.

Naw, common problem when the software writer isn't within pummeling distance.

^^^^^^^^^ Is this the politically correct phrasing???^^^^^^^^^^^^^

smoke show said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
John97 said:
This is pure insanity.

Naw, common problem when the software writer isn't within pummeling distance.

^^^^^^^^^ Is this the politically correct phrasing???^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I sent you the technically correct response the other day or so. Not suitable for what is supposed to be a family friendly site.

First you really get the attention of the software writer, this will likely lead to a design person, you apply an appropriate method to them, working your way up the chain until you find out who requested such a stupid thing to take place. Once the true source of the problem is known you make that person fix the mess in the field and then kick them out into the cold.

This procedure is known as shaking the tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.