Mt Vernon - Ticking Sound

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PappaPhil

Apr 28, 2015
Juneau Alaska
So my Mt Vernon has developed a ticking sound in the last few months (owned 1 year). It starts just after the stove stops feeding pellets/begins shutdown, and stops about when it goes into the cleaning/grinding sound phase. It clearly (to me) is a metal contracting/cooling thing as the pace of the ticking slows down and fades as the stove cools. So I tightened the 2 bolts that are to the left and right of the burn pot, where it attaches to the floor of the main chamber, and I discovered that indeed the bolts were a bit loose. So I tightened and the ticking stopped. A few days later, the ticking started again and the bolts were again a bit loose (about 1/2 a turn). Now, a couple months later I tighten them and the ticking doesn't stop, next day the bolts are again a bit loose. Has anyone else experienced this, and/or any suggestion on how to more permanently tighten the bolts so they wont work loose as the metal heats and cools? Thanks...

Think this is the first time I have heard of loosened bolts on the fire pot. The expansion/contraction rate of the sheet metal would be different than the bolts and may account for the loosening. Wish I had that problem as most of the screws in the firebox on my stove get locked in tight...

I have not come across this issue. I would not look for a permanent way to keep the bolts tight, as most people I tell to use some high temp anti-seize grease on the bolts so they are easy to remove, as all that heat can almost "weld" them in place. And it becomes real easy to break the rivnuts that hold the bolts in place. I would suggest calling your dealer to see if he has come across this and then at least he has been notified of your issue for warranty purposes. I am not convinced that it is the bolt issue.kap

Reactions: Lake Girl
Mine ticks as you described due to expansion and contraction. I never messed with it. Metal expands and contracts so let it do its thing. By over tightening the bolts you may be adding stress to components.

Just like you never secure siding tight, same concept here IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.