MTD wood splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

djblech

Feeling the Heat
Jul 7, 2008
Bruno MN
Menards has an MTD 6hp 25 ton horizontal/vertical wood splitter in stock. While this is not my #1 choice they have 11% off everything this week. I also got my contractors rebate check yesterday which will pretty much cover the cost. I think the motor is a B+S. Is there any reason not to jump on this?
I was really sold on a Northern Tool tractor mounted splitter, but this is very little $ out of pocket.
Thanks
Doug

Can't say much about this model, but I have rented an old 20 ton MTD recently. It's got to be around 20 yrs old with a Honda engine. Runs like a charm and splits about anything I put into it. Owner loves it. It's not much to look at as it's left out in the weather 24/7.

I have a 27 ton, never any problems except the motor used a little oil at first, 6.5 Hp OHV.
Splits anything, bought in 2006? for $999 at Lowes, I assembled it my self to save a return trip.

Someone on here had cylinder issues with one, (mounting points broke), mine look good, 7+ cords a year.

djblech said:
Menards has an MTD 6hp 25 ton horizontal/vertical wood splitter in stock. While this is not my #1 choice they have 11% off everything this week. I also got my contractors rebate check yesterday which will pretty much cover the cost. I think the motor is a B+S. Is there any reason not to jump on this?
I was really sold on a Northern Tool tractor mounted splitter, but this is very little $ out of pocket.
Thanks
Doug

We have the older model (Like Sav's) 20 Ton MTD Vertical/Horizontal splitter and it splits anything I've put underneath it. I think it has a 5 horsepower engine on it.

Zap

Two years in splitting with a 27-ton MTD . . . no issues other than the cradle's bolts shearing off . . . upgraded to different bolts and watch the wood better . . . check that . . . did notice one of the hoses was wearing against some metal . . . fixed the hose and issue . . . no real complaints.

Yup. Our 20 something or other year old MTD is a 20 ton. Has a 5 hp Briggs & Stratton engine. Well worth the dollars. We've split well over 100 cord of wood with it and it has been trouble free. One thing I like, especially after seeing our neighbor's Huskee is ours has a wider track. He has tipped his over out in the woods at least 2 times. Mine is so wide it would be very difficult to tip over. It is heavy and quite fast. Has the two stage pump but it has to be something pretty stringy before the 2 stage kicks in. So, I have to highly recommend it.

+1 we have the 25 ton and love it. Starts right up, splits everything thrown at it. once you start using it make sure you setup a maint schedule to change the engine oil and the hyd oil. I found out that you can get the filters at local napa store.

I have the 25-ton Yard Machines, which is built by MTD. It looks like between all of these units there are small differences, like the hoses, clamps, etc. The only negative I've heard from all my searching is the thread here about the trunion mount busting. Not sure if that will continue to be a problem or if they solved it, but from what I've seen a new cylinder's only a couple hundred bucks.

S

Thanks for all the info. The plan is to go to Menards today, but I have 1 small/large problem. My GW boiler blew a line last night and I woke up to 1" of water in the basement. Guess I have to mop first.
Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.