MTD wood splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

djblech

Feeling the Heat
Jul 7, 2008
Bruno MN
So I bought MTD wood splitter from Menards. I get it home and assembled and go down to the station and pick up 2 gal of premium gas. I fill up the tank, it runs for 1 min and nothing. So I call the service center Menards uses and they say bad fuel. I drained out the premium and put in regular and after squirting gas in the cyl about 10 times it starts and runs. I split about 1 1/2 tanks of gas and put it away for a week. When I try to start it no go. I pull the plug 2 times and squirt gas in the cyl it runs fine. It's a 190cc Brigs, but shouldn't a new motor run better than that? I don't see any adjustments on the carb. Should I take it back? (50 miles) Any other suggestions?
Thanks
Doug

Sounds like something is wrong. Power equipment often has a separate engine warranty. If you got a separate engine warranty document, you may be able to take it to an authorized B&S service center. There should be one somewhere close.

Before you do, though, call a trusted buddy who is good with engines. See what he says. You just may be overlooking something simple.

How long did the gas have to go bad??? Sounds like you have some other problem(s). Bad gas usually refers to old gas that has sat in the sun or gotten water in the alcohol.

I had a briggs that was near impossible to start, until I disconnected the low oil shutoff, the oil level was fine, and it would run with the oil switch hooked up, just wouldn't start. Yours might not have such a switch.

Does the choke seem to work? Is there a fuel shutoff on the tank that's not fully open? Will it start easy with starting fluid?

You could ask for a replacement carb, it costs the manufacturer a lot less to send you some parts than to take it back. Don't take it back to Maynerds unless you know they'll take it, usually they want you to use the manufacturers warranty on gas engines.

Are you towing the spitter any distance? Does the engine have a fuel shutoff? Towing without a shutoff can splash fuel around and flood the engine. Once flooded, some sparkplugs never fully recover. Try a new plug and maybe a different brand of plug.

The first fuel I put in the tank came right from the pump, maybe 15 min. The tech I talked to said that if the premium isn't being used alot at the station it will go bad. I didn't believe it but changing the fuel to regular did get it to run. It was cold the other day when I tried it after sitting for a week. Only towed about 100yds. No fuel shut off, no low oil shutoff. It appears that the choke butterfly is closing but it still takes that squirt of gas to get it running. If it is warm it starts and runs. I think I will try the spark plug. The one that is in there is a B+S and I get spark but not a very strong spark. This machine runs at 1 speed, no throttle to adjust. Once it starts it runs pretty good. The splitter has not stopped on even ash or oak nasty pieces. Sure beats a maul.
Doug

Make sure the carb is not sucking in air somewhere .. Look for loose bolts in the carb area and dislodged gaskets.. The carb may have loosened up in shipping or towing.. By adding gas to the cylinder you're richening up the mix which you need for it to start cold.. Once running it could be running lean which is not good for the engine.. Also inspect the carb to ensure the butterfly choke closes when you choke the motor for starting..

Ray

As Raybonz and others have said, Remove the cover and air filter element and verify that the the choke is actually partially blocking airflow through the carb when in the closed position, and it fully opens in the open position. Mine was a cheap plastic piece, Broke after 2 years or so. Same symptoms.
Linkage moved, choke didn't. Got a replacement at the local small engine supply, Just a few bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.