Much more heat than I expected

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bcarton

Feeling the Heat
Oct 15, 2014
Pelham, NH
Again, I just want to say thanks to everyone here who contributes their knowledge and expertise to helping us newbs figure out how to get up and running with heat from a pellet stove.

I bought an old Enviro EF2 off craigslist a couple weeks ago, and got it installed last weekend.

This little stove is heating about 3/4 of our 2100 sq ft house - we have 4 bedrooms and 3 are closed off unless the kids are home from college. I haven't turned on the electric heat at all, and the whole first floor is 69-72 degrees; our bedroom upstairs hovers around 66-67. The stove is barely working, I'm running the little "Dial-a-Fire" between 9-11 most of the time.

I have a little over 3 tons of Okanagan Gold in the garage, and I'm avoiding what would have been $900-1000 electric bills over the next 3-4 months.

Thank you all so much for making this transition so successful!

Most folks come to this site as a result of a stove problem, or a 'non-success' perhaps, that they're having with it - which of course is largely what this fine forum is here for.

That said, it is particularly uplifting to have someone come on here and post about a DIY install where things went well, as opposed to it 'going off the rails'. ==c So, 'back at 'ya' on the thanks !

Happy burning !

Reactions: tjnamtiw
FWIW it wasn't DIY - but from reading here knew what I what I wanted, and what I could afford. I have a solid stove and a great venting system installed in what was a problematic area, and it was kind of threading the needle to make it all work trying to replace a poorly done wood stove install from the late 70's. I'm safe, I'm warm, and I'm saving $500-600 month on heat. It never would have pulled together at an affordable cost without this resource right here. So, Thanks again!

I am a month or so into heating with pellets and our house is so toasty compared to my trusty Jotul No.3 wood stove supplemented by oil heat that I have feelings of guilt not having to turn down the thermostat anymore every time we go out or retire for the evening. Waking up to a house just as warm as when I went to bed the night before makes me wish I had made the move sooner. The convective heat reaches out far more efficiently than the radiant heat of our old wood stove, thereby almost eliminating the need to turn on the oil burner. Our stove was installed one month after an oil delivery and still we just saved over 100 gallons based on past oil deliveries this time of year. I fully expect the next oil delivery to reap even greater savings.

Status
Not open for further replies.