Muck Boots and HSUS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimney Smoke

Minister of Fire
Nov 24, 2013
Maine
So there have been numerous internet sites talking about the apparent support of HSUS by Muck boot. As many outdoors folks know - HSUS is behind most anti-hunting, fishing, trapping, ranching, etc. initiatives across the country. If you do some quick searches it looks like a misunderstanding and everything is cool. If you dig deeper, there is a lot of double stories and apparent damage control after the fact. Last week, the companies official facebook page had a post regarding a Muck boots fundraiser for a donation to HSUS. There was huge backlash from lots of outdoors people and the company removed the posts from it's facebook page. They later said that they were encouraging coworkers to donate to a local Rhode Island animal shelter which is completely different than a company fundraiser as posted on facebook. Many folks called the local shelter and the shelter had no idea about any donation from Muck boots. A few days later the shelter was saying we're not sure what the commotion was about but we just got a call from Muck boots and will be receiving a $2000 donation. The facebook timelines and internet forum timelines just really look like they were caught donating to HSUS and started backpedaling when it was found out. The company website has no official statement and there's been no press releases to clear it up. I have never purchased any of their products but now I never will because in my opinion they got caught donating to an organization that works against 90% of their client base and then tried to cover it up. Just wanted to share with folks on here.

Thanks for posting this. Knowledge is power. Vote wisely with those dollars!

Reactions: 7acres
Well shoot. I was hoping to buy a pair of Muck boots because most hunters and woodsmen I know swear by them. I've got my treestand in a lower lying area than I've used in the past and I really want a different boot for this season. Is there any boot that really is as good or better for keeping your feet warm and dry in muddy nasty conditions?

An alternative may be BOGS BOOTS.

I've actually never worn Muck boots. The only reason was that when I needed that type of boot, I decided to go with BOGS and have been very pleased.

I've been wearing the steel toe rancher models around the farm and when plowing snow from the drive in an open cab tractor. They fit great and keep me warm. I haven't tried them for hunting yet.

Last edited:
Well shoot. I was hoping to buy a pair of Muck boots because most hunters and woodsmen I know swear by them. I've got my treestand in a lower lying area than I've used in the past and I really want a different boot for this season. Is there any boot that really is as good or better for keeping your feet warm and dry in muddy nasty conditions?
I work for a water dept. Which means a lot of water main breaks in the winter for me to fix. I have been there for 11 years and I haven't find a better boot to stand in a mud and water when most of us are sitting by a warm wood stove. They are light, warm comfortable and water proof.

Last edited:
Love my Arctic Mucks! Best boot period, and from LLBean it has a lifetime satisfaction guaranty. May get a second set for for warmer weather!

MUCK's are great boots but not real tough. Keep them out of heavy brush and briars and they last pretty good, are super comfy and do everything old school knee high rubber boots could not. That said, and post my own research on the topic, I may start looking into the Lacrosse, Boggs, Under Armor or any number of other versions of the neoprene boots available. I give to the local shelter and believe in Dog/pet rescue but the national is so against all I stand for that supporting anyone who supports them is bad JuJu.

*** I have yet to formulate my own opinion and will only do so after I have done the research - not based on mass hysteria. Mucks have been good to me!!

Last edited:
Seems they have clarified the mistake appropriately, but unfortunately hardliners are unable to accept the fact that errors are/were made. Knowing their client base (which they seem to) I am certain they would never want to risk jeopardizing that relationship. Their explanation is more than plausible, and the realization of their near mis-direction of of an employee collected donation in honor of an expired employee family's request should not penalize this stalwart company unjustly.
That said, consumer discretionary funds are welcome to be spent anywhere they wish, and I am certain that the other companies listed in this posting will appreciate these new clients. As long as these companies can offer the quality and workmanship that folks look for, and hopefully they (and their parent companies) can maintain the pristine aura that that these individuals crave.

Status
Not open for further replies.