mud tires for Dakota

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Jaque Janaviac

Feeling the Heat
Dec 17, 2009
Ouisconsin
I'll probably get a set of tire chains for my Dakota. But my curiosity has been piqued by what mud tires are available.

For the tire size that are on my truck there just aren't many mud tires out there that are 265/70R16. What's up with that? The other common Dakota tire size is 245/70R16 and there aren't many mud tires in that size either.

Is it possible to put a different sized tire on the same rims? Say like a 265/75R16? It seems like the aspect ratio would be the easiest to change without having to change other things to accomodate. Or am I wrong?

Black Jaque Janaviac said:
I'll probably get a set of tire chains for my Dakota. But my curiosity has been piqued by what mud tires are available.

For the tire size that are on my truck there just aren't many mud tires out there that are 265/70R16. What's up with that? The other common Dakota tire size is 245/70R16 and there aren't many mud tires in that size either.

Is it possible to put a different sized tire on the same rims? Say like a 265/75R16? It seems like the aspect ratio would be the easiest to change without having to change other things to accomodate. Or am I wrong?

Most of your chain stores won't put on any tire that doesn't match your door sticker. Some local shops will put anything on there you want. Changing tire size may mess up your speedometer (shorter/taller) but decreasing aspect ratio shouldn't have any impact on anything.

I personally like BFG ATs. Good multi-purpose shoes for the truck.

Thanks,

Is going from 70 to 75 considered a decrease in aspect ratio? I always get confused when talking ratios.

When I looked on Tire Rack I noticed that there are some Dakota owners who submitted reviews for mud tires such as Destination M/T. But those tires don't come in sizes run on stock Dakotas. So how do they run em?

Thanks,

Is going from 70 to 75 considered a decrease in aspect ratio? I always get confused when talking ratios.

When I looked on Tire Rack I noticed that there are some Dakota owners who submitted reviews for mud tires such as Destination M/T. But those tires don't come in sizes run on stock Dakotas. So how do they run em?

Aspect ratio is the relatioship between height and width, higher being wider.

Tire rack doesn't care what you buy because they don't install them...and the people buying them probably take them to a shop that is willing to install them.

Black Jaque, give me the year, model, etc, of your Dakota...

Ed

ETA: I checked and there surely isn't many given options. I checked from about 05 to 08 models.

ETA2: Check out WILD COUNTRY XTX SPORT OWL...fairly aggressive but not a mudder.

ETA3: Going to a 75 series from a 70 will increase your overall diameter and minimally decrease your section and tread widths. It will increase your overall diameter by right at an inch and decrease the widths very little...cross section by about .2 inches and supposedly doesn't change your tread width. The "design" rim is 7.5" for the 75 series and 8" for the 70 series but rim sizes from 7-9 inches are approved for both sizes. Referring to 265/75R16 and 265/70R16 sizes.

The first number (265) is the Width in millimeters. The second number is your aspect ratio, as stated above ^ by Intheswamp. So 265/75 is 265 millimeters in width, while the sidewall being 75% of that width. With your last number R16, obviously being your Rim Diameter. So a 265/75/R16 is only gonna be minimally taller than the 265/70/R16. A 285/75/R16 would be Wider by almost an inch and taller by about the same (a little less). Most Full size pick-ups and some Mid-size come with 265/75/R16 (or 17,18) stock, and can easily wear a 285/75/R(fill in your rim size). Before I put the lift on my 03 F-150 FX4, I put 305/65/R17 on it. They were the same height as a 285/75/R17, but I got a wider tire (Both are the equivalent of a 31") . The calculations can be a little confusing. Once you understand the 1st # is millimeters, the 2 # is the percentage of the 1st, and then your rim size. I have the calculation wrote down somewhere to come with the overall tire diameter. When I find it, I will post it. What year is your Dakota?? Pro Comp makes a heck of a tire. I have the Xtreme A/T's on my truck and the standard A/T's on my Wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee. Both are phenomenal tires. A little pricey, but both are a high mileage tire. Mine being 40,000 plus, and hers 50,000 plus. Good luck.

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong. BJJ is looking at a 265/75R/16. These numbers are metric designations, and aspects/fractions of such. 1-mm = .03937". Transfer those numbers. (Before I lose track, there's lots of 16" mudders out there, not so much for the 16.5"-weak tread bead)- On track- 265= 265x.03937=10.433". That's the tread width. 75R= (R only means it's a radial tire) 75 means the sidewall height equals 75% of the tread width. So tread width is 10.433, (easy way) divide by 100, then multiply by 75( the 75R number)= 7.824". That's the distance from the rim to the tread, on one side. You have to double that number, to get your overall tire height. Don't forget the wheel diameter, that's the last number. So, sidewall = 7.824" x 2, = 15.65"+ (wheel diam.) 16"= 31.65" tire height. These numbers apply to all metric designated tires. The only other info. I can offer applies to engine RPM's vs. tire size. This is not metric, and just used for general comparision.- You have to define this stuff, but you'll see how it works. MPH x gearing x 336- divide by tire diam.= engine RPM. I only use this to check my highway engine RPM for a certain tire size vs. gearing. I always assume a 1:1 for transmission, OD just complicates things for me.

NATE379 said:
Yeah of course you can put a difference size tire.

That 265/70/16 is basically a 31x10.5...

Swamper LTB would work
http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=7&g=1

Truxus
http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=11&g=1

BFG
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/name/mud-terrain-t-a-km2-tires

X2, This is why they make lift kits. Not that you would need one for these though.

People have been putting bigger tires on trucks since there were trucks.

Aspect ratio change won't matter. Sure it will affect the spedometer, odometer and possibly fuel mileage, but the truck will work fine as long as they don't rub while turning or when fully loaded. Expect it to handle a little differently also.

On a car it could be a whole different story but you don't have a car.

My 95 Dak door sticker says 205 75 15's. I run 235 75 15's. Wider, taller, bigger all around.

That's funny, my Dakota door says 245/70R16 but the tires that were on it when I bought it at 14,000 miles were 265/70R16s and were exactly what Tire Rack claims as Original Equipment.

It appears that 265/75R16s would make very little difference in speedometer readings IF the speedometer is set for 265/70R16 however if the speedometer is based on 245/70R16 that may be even farther off.

That's funny, my Dakota door says 245/70R16 but the tires that were on it when I bought it at 14,000 miles were 265/70R16s and were exactly what Tire Rack claims as Original Equipment.

It appears that 265/75R16s would make very little difference in speedometer readings IF the speedometer is set for 265/70R16 however if the speedometer is based on 245/70R16 that may be even farther off.

Mines a '94. I think 16" wheels became standard when the body style changed in '97.
The speedometer thing isn't a big deal either. I changed my axle ratio from a 3.20 to a 3.90. Got the right gear for the speedometer drive in the transfer case to get everything back in sync.
It is a simple 5 min operation if you have the right part, you don't even have to jack it up.

You may even find your speedometer isn't that accurate to start with. If you go to a smaller tire the speedometer will read slightly faster than actual. I would think that is better in the case of abiding to the speed limit but worse because you will rack up miles you didn't actually drive. The difference is about 4% for the 265-75 to the 265-70 scenario. 2.6 mph at 65, or 104 miles recorded when you drive 100.
The 245's have a 95" cicumference
the 265-70's have a 96" circumference
The 265 75's have a 99" circumference.

If 245's were stock your speedometer is now off by 5%, with the 265 75's, is that the case? Check it on the interstate.
I would trust the door sticker or even call the dealer parts dept and ask them. Have the VIN ready.

If the 265 75's were stock than your error is still only 4% if you go with the 265 70's

Look around this site, you might find the best answer to your question here.

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/

There are offroad, 4x4, wheel and tire sub forums etc.

ok. I think I'm understanding how this works. That link to the tire size calculator was really helpful. In fact I found that 245/75R16s are veeery close to the same circumference as 265/70R16 AND there is a large selection of mud tires in the 245 size.

Now, I've asked the question before regarding whether to go with chains or mud tires, and it appeared that the consensus was to go for chains. Would it be wiser to just stick with a dual purpose tire like Destination ATs and use chains when I need them? Or would there be an advantage to getting a mud tire such as the Destination MTs?

I'm running Treadwright 31" Warden AT's on my 92, they're wearing well, get good traction in everything I've tried so far and they're cheap. They've got a few different tread designs in sizes that are close to what you need.

FWIW stock size was listed as 215/75/15 which basically measure 28x8.5 and now I'm running 31x10.5 on Gen 2 Dakota wheels with the torsion bars cranked.

I use this program to compare tire sizes, give differences in size, how much extra clearance you'll need and how far your speedometer will be off.
http://www.cat.cc/tiresize.htm

And if you've got an Android smartphone, the Speedview app will let you know how far your speedometer is off.

Old+new
DSCF0015.jpg

Tread design
DSCF0018.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.