Muffler blows off my Stihl 031AV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leroy_B

Dec 23, 2010
Southern N.H.
Well this put a kibosh on cleaning up a red oak when the muffler blew off my Stihl 031AV. I recently bought the saw and this little bugger is a great little work horse. A $100 well spent so I expect these little problems all in good time. So it's an easy fix and I'll be back in business for the next downed tree.. Meantime my Husqvarna Rancher 455 finished the rest of the work.

Attachments

• Stihl 031 AV.jpg
    Stihl 031 AV.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,068
  • Muffler1.jpg
    Muffler1.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 818
  • Muffler2.jpg
    Muffler2.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 581
Well this put a kibosh on cleaning up a red oak when the muffler blew off my Stihl 031AV. I recently bought the saw and this little bugger is a great little work horse. A $100 well spent so I expect these little problems all in good time. So it's an easy fix and I'll be back in business for the next downed tree.. Meantime my Husqvarna Rancher 455 finished the rest of the work.
Those mufflers are NLA from Stihl, I'm assuming you're going to eBay for parts?

Those mufflers are NLA from Stihl, I'm assuming you're going to eBay for parts?
There's a shop next town over that's nothing but Stihl chainsaws I was hoping I might get lucky. Kinda like the same hopes I had scoring at the CYO dances as a teen. I get lucky when I'm not looking. So yeah Ebay is my next source and I'll browse Craigslist for the hell of it. Might find one for parts.

There's a shop next town over that's nothing but Stihl chainsaws I was hoping I might get lucky. Kinda like the same hopes I had scoring at the CYO dances as a teen. I get lucky when I'm not looking. So yeah Ebay is my next source and I'll browse Craigslist for the hell of it. Might find one for parts.

There is a guy that posts ad's on craigslist for Stihl parts and ships out, If I find the link i'll pm you

That one has been repaired and beefed up! Might be good idea to fix or have fixed the muffler that you have for when it breaks next time. The way that muffler mounts to such a small flange way back from the beef of the actual muffler makes it look prone to breakage. Can you get spikes for the bar to help protect the muffler?

That one has been repaired and beefed up! Might be good idea to fix or have fixed the muffler that you have for when it breaks next time. The way that muffler mounts to such a small flange way back from the beef of the actual muffler makes it look prone to breakage. Can you get spikes for the bar to help protect the muffler?

Good eyes Xjma, I hadn't caught that! There were a couple other decent looking ones for about $30 on ebay, plus a brand new one for $99 (steep). Now might be a good time to pick up any other nice parts you might want for that 031AV Leroy_B, they aren't getting any cheaper, only harder to find. I'm in the process of doing a major rebuild on mine right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.