muffler mod for MS 310

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prof

Minister of Fire
Oct 18, 2011
Western PA
Recently had a Stihl dealer tell me that a muffler mod for my 310 would not give any gains in hp. I don't know a ton about small engines, but I'm pretty sure he was wrong?

The 290/310/390 are heavy anemic pigs stock. When the muffler is opened and the carb properly tuned, they can become an acceptable saw for their weight.

I have an MS290, just a couple months old. How hard is the muffler mod? Any links? If it improves it, maybe I'll stop looking all over the internet for a used pro Stihl?
(doubtful...)

I have an MS290, just a couple months old. How hard is the muffler mod? Any links? If it improves it, maybe I'll stop looking all over the internet for a used pro Stihl?
(doubtful...)

I just picked up a MS 260 off Ebay for $165 shipped..... Dont quit looking!

As for the Muffler mod, HittinSteel said it best.

Careful, there are a lot of morons out there. You have found one.

The 290/310/390 are heavy anemic pigs stock. When the muffler is opened and the carb properly tuned, they can become an acceptable saw for their weight.

Well worth it. IMO

muffler mods are relatively easy, go to youtube and there should be some tutorials. As Hittinsteel said, any mod to a modern saw muffler is a gain in HP. The muffler is the main place that these saws are restricted to meet emissions. Also the plastic limiters on the hi-low carb screws, when you mod the muffler, get rid of those. you can make some big improvements in power by some simple steps..,..

I have yet to do this and every time I read up on this it makes me want to. My 310 is now 5 or 6 years old and seen about 30 cord. I think its finally time. Just printed out the instructions maybe when I have time on Wednesday.

Reactions: Prof and ScotO

Does the 270 fit in there anywhere? I never hear about anybody modding one.

That's cus it's a 270... ;) lol, J/K! Do a search, ya never know what you will find.

I'm not sure on the 270. I almost bought a 270 but bit the bullet for a 260.

I imagine it can be muffler modded to bring out its potential.

Reactions: ScotO
muffler mods are relatively easy, go to youtube and there should be some tutorials. As Hittinsteel said, any mod to a modern saw muffler is a gain in HP. The muffler is the main place that these saws are restricted to meet emissions. Also the plastic limiters on the hi-low carb screws, when you mod the muffler, get rid of those. you can make some big improvements in power by some simple steps..,..

Plus you make the saw lighter.;lol A guy actually told me that once. A C

I'm chomping to do it. Looks really easy on the 290/310/390 series. It's actually more difficult to access the screws and tune afterwards than it is to open up the can.

Status
Not open for further replies.