Muffler Mod for the 290,310,390

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A safe guideline is to go no larger than 80 % of your cylinder exhaust port. You have to measure and calculate the area of both and figure out how much more you need to open your exhaust hole.

From another site it seems that 6 .25 hole are pretty normal for a 290..

Now not recommend by me but this comes from someone with way more experience then I " ultimately, your trying to IMPROVE the flow of the muffler. If the INLET of the muffler is 800 cubic mm, and the outlet of the muffler is 100 cu mm, there's an OBVIOUS restriction... try and land your outlet size close to 80% or so of exhaust port (at the cylinder wall) size... you can go up to 100% if your still using the spark screen..."

As for the 046 running a 3/4 inch port I bet if I measure the hole in my dp and the factory holes on the side it will be well over 3/4 inch and that is all factory no mods by me... Now I know you got one of those expensive modded muffs but I would be willing to bet it could be opened a little more...

O and I was a BIG fan of Savinelli back in my smoking days.......I got a alligator that I loved....

Attachments

• dsa2642.jpg
    dsa2642.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 252
[quote author="southbound" date="1297416430"]A safe guideline is to go no larger than 80 % of your cylinder exhaust port. You have to measure and calculate the area of both and figure out how much more you need to open your exhaust hole.

Now not recommend by me but this comes from someone with way more experience then I " ultimately, your trying to IMPROVE the flow of the muffler. If the INLET of the muffler is 800 cubic mm, and the outlet of the muffler is 100 cu mm, there's an OBVIOUS restriction... try and land your outlet size close to 80% or so of exhaust port (at the cylinder wall) size... you can go up to 100% if your still using the spark screen..."

As for the 046 running a 3/4 inch port I bet if I measure the hole in my dp and the factory holes on the side it will be well over 3/4 inch and that is all factory no mods by me... Now I know you got one of those expensive modded muffs but I would be willing to bet it could be opened a little more...

O and I was a BIG fan of Savinelli back in my smoking days.......I got a alligator that I loved....[/quote

Ahhh then my 120 anni is a big prize its fricken sweeet. Need money selling it and a dunhill (Both are worth well over 275.00).....Breaks my heart but I have another dozen. 14 on a two week rotation if you will.

southbound said:
A safe guideline is to go no larger than 80 % of your cylinder exhaust port. You have to measure and calculate the area of both and figure out how much more you need to open your exhaust hole.

I was thinking I read 20-30% figure somewhere, that is 20-30% larger than the exhaust port (think 120%). Infact on that other site, there seemed to be a couple of folks saying to remove the whole recessed area. In any case, I think I'll start with just the 7/16" and can always go larger later.

This saw ran awesome with this size hole

Attachments

• IMGP0812.jpg
    IMGP0812.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 346
Ok mod completed. All my cameras are dead so no pics yet. Did a 7/16" hole in the depression then enlarged the opening of the 'bulge' up to the top bend. The limiter caps had me puzzled until I found a pic of what they look like then it made sense, got em out, shaved off the stop and stuck em back in. The whole tuning thing I'm not certain of. Think I got the low adjustment dialed in good but the high adjustment I'm not sure. As you richen it the speed drops and it starts to become raspy. But the speed starts dropping first, and the raspyness seems to come in gradually so I wasnt sure at what point to leave it. The idle speed seems to be fine, clutch is free, but trying to adjust it I couldnt get it to change? Maybe I wasnt on the screw enough, idk, but seems fine as is. I'll find out in the morning if I can feel any difference.

ikessky said:
Give the WAV file on this site a few listens and you will hear how you need to tune the saw. http://www.madsens1.com/saw_carb_tune.htm

Yeah I have seen several links to sound files... unfortunately no speakers! lol. I forgot to bring my laptop with me (up to the inlaws farm for the weekend) so I'll listen to em when I get back. I tweaked the saw just a bit more after cutting up the first tree this morning, and so far its running noticably better, of course I also have a sharper chain than I have before too. Weird thing is wasnt as loud as I thought it would be. But I got a new helmet/face screen/ear muff thingy so wearing ear protection anyways.

►►OhioBurner◄◄™ said:
ikessky said:
Give the WAV file on this site a few listens and you will hear how you need to tune the saw. http://www.madsens1.com/saw_carb_tune.htm

Yeah I have seen several links to sound files... unfortunately no speakers! lol. I forgot to bring my laptop with me (up to the inlaws farm for the weekend) so I'll listen to em when I get back. I tweaked the saw just a bit more after cutting up the first tree this morning, and so far its running noticably better, of course I also have a sharper chain than I have before too. Weird thing is wasnt as loud as I thought it would be. But I got a new helmet/face screen/ear muff thingy so wearing ear protection anyways.

You can tack them if you cant hear whats up on the sound wave

Any advice on where to find a decent tach? Having trouble on the old interwebs. Found this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Digi...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Stihl website has what looked like "wired" ones but interested in the wireless one mentioned on Madsen's site.

Don't really trust the ears and don't want to risk the ears, at least on the high speed. Spend too much time with a stethoscope in the ears and hearing loss would be devastating for me professionally.

Exmasonite said:
Any advice on where to find a decent tach? Having trouble on the old interwebs. Found this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Digi...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Stihl website has what looked like "wired" ones but interested in the wireless one mentioned on Madsen's site.

Don't really trust the ears and don't want to risk the ears, at least on the high speed. Spend too much time with a stethoscope in the ears and hearing loss would be devastating for me professionally.

You can find them cheaper. Just make sure its rated for 2 cycle.

any good examples or recommendations, jay? wired vs wireless thoughts? wireless seem nice and easy

Status
Not open for further replies.